Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Arise Sir Lewis

Outdated idea bowing to royalty.
    Loada bollox

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Loada bollox
    Certainly the title of the awards are outdated but I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with recognising people's contribution to society.

New Year Honours 2021
    Recipients

Recognised for work in their communities

603Women (49%)

14%Ethnic minority background

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Certainly the title of the awards are outdated but I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with recognising people's contribution to society.

New Year Honours 2021
    Recipients

Recognised for work in their communities

603Women (49%)

14%Ethnic minority background
    It's all designed to remind you of your place.
    A peerage system to keep the rich rich and everyone else scrapping around for crumbs.

It's all designed to remind you of your place.
    A peerage system to keep the rich rich and everyone else scrapping around for crumbs.
    The whole socio-economic-political system is there to ensure that the people with power and wealth keep it. The peerage system is a small part of it.

Loada bollox
    This. I can't believe more people don't turn them down. I find it especially cringe-worthy when Welsh, Scottish and Irish people accept them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. I can't believe more people don't turn them down. I find it especially cringe-worthy when Welsh, Scottish and Irish people accept them.
    Interesting snippet on the back of yesterday's Michael Sheen story on some of the people who have handed back their 'honours':

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...n-royal-family

He joins a list of prominent figures who have returned or refused honours, including the musicians John Lennon, Paul Weller and David Bowie; the actors Jim Broadbent, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders; the poet Benjamin Zephaniah, the playwright Alan Bennett and the celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.

Nigella Lawson was a surprise! But no prominent political donors handing back their knighthoods (damehoods) or seats in the Lords?

Public recognition of ordinary people who devote their lives to doing good is fine - but we still (despite some recent improvements) have got a system of nomination and award that is obscure, clumsy and often corrupt (gongs for the PM's backers) and award titles that are anachronistic and offensive.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting snippet on the back of yesterday's Michael Sheen story on some of the people who have handed back their 'honours':

He joins a list of prominent figures who have returned or refused honours, including the musicians John Lennon, Paul Weller and David Bowie; the actors Jim Broadbent, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders; the poet Benjamin Zephaniah, the playwright Alan Bennett and the celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.

Nigella Lawson was a surprise! But no prominent political donors handing back their knighthoods (damehoods) or seats in the Lords?

Public recognition of ordinary people who devote their lives to doing good is fine - but we still (despite some recent improvements) have got a system of nomination and award that is obscure, clumsy and often corrupt (gongs for the PM's backers) and award titles that are anachronistic and offensive.

To develop a better sense of how ‘odd’ these awards are I read that the First Ministers secretary got an award for her ‘services’ whatever they might include.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I read something about the Michael Sheen situation. He said that he educated himself about the history of the family and then returned the award. Which sounds a bit fishy to me. You don't exactly need a high level of education to know that Wales has been oppressed by the English monarchy throughout history.

I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

International

[QUOTE=City123;5151637]I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books[/QUOTE

Do they announce who were offered one and turned it down?
    In my memory it is the people who turn down an award who announce it. After all there is no good having a flounce if no one knows about it.

Wouldn’t you find it worse if they all went to English people?
    A lot of Celts remain loyal or indifferent to the notion of a United Kingdom but still do what they do. Why shouldn’t they be recognised for it?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Wouldn’t you find it worse if they all went to English people?
    A lot of Celts remain loyal or indifferent to the notion of a United Kingdom but still do what they do. Why shouldn’t they be recognised for it?
    Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own governments that could honour their citizens.

I have no problem with people from the Celtic nations being recognised. I just think it's weird that they would accept an award from I institution that has subjugated them for centuries. I get that people are loyalist. I just don't understand why. The fact that any people from the island of Ireland would be loyal to the English queen whether they're from Scottish descent or not just blows my mind.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own governments that could honour their citizens.

I have no problem with people from the Celtic nations being recognised. I just think it's weird that they would accept an award from I institution that has subjugated them for centuries. I get that people are loyalist. I just don't understand why. The fact that any people from the island of Ireland would be loyal to the English queen whether they're from Scottish descent or not just blows my mind.
    It is the Government that selects the recipients, not the Royal family. Would you prefer BJ sent certificate in the post. If an individual doesn’t want to accept then so be it. As for Drakeford or Sturgeon handing out gongs, yes of course that could be done and some recipients might enjoy that; not sure how many?

International

I believe that the committee that considers honours actually get recommendations from the devolved leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I believe that the committee that considers honours actually get recommendations from the devolved leaders.
    They do. But it's still called "the Queen's Honours List".

Loada bollox
    Seconded.

No place for this on a Cardiff City Football forum IMO.