+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    In my 60 years watching City one stands out by a country mile ... Ian Gibson.

StT.
    <><
    I'll second that, what a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Gibson was primarily a winger wasn't he, so therefore wouldn't qualify in the playmaker category but certainly one of the best wide players we ever had. Whittingham for me.

The great thing about mcphail, he dictated play from a deep position for many of his seasons with us, which meant we could have attacking wingers or other attacking midfielders in the same XI or 2 up front etc and retain the creativity in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Gibson was primarily a winger wasn't he, so therefore wouldn't qualify in the playmaker category but certainly one of the best wide players we ever had. Whittingham for me.
    No, Gibson played through the middle most of the time when he was with us - the pitch was a mudheap in his second season here (71/72), but it didn't seem to have much of an affect on him.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

No, 'Gibbo,' was not a winger but a central midfielder / playmaker. He'd spray passes all over the place and land them on a sixpence. His swagger about the pitch showed a master-craftsman at work. The only one who came near him was Tony Currie (Sheff Utd).

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post