Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
I experienced the expat lifestyle in Sydney but from the Lebanese expat community for just over 6 months, it always entertained me that people would move to another country and band together and not really let outsiders in, it was there i saw Racism from both sides, the girl i was dating was subject to it from whites which used to push me to the edge and often beyond with a number of " squaring up to the person " and even a few incidents on punches thrown ( much to her dismay as i couldnt leave it ), it was funny, she would always say " leave it, its just how things are, we all have different and have different opinions and it will never change ", then when i would go to her family / community things i would suffer the same, the older generation would make remarks ( some i couldnt understand, but i know were racist from the GF outburst back at them ) some in English that i could, She had a very strange view of it, directed at her she would just brush it off without a care in the world, directed at me, it would cause the anger in her would bubble over, i never understood that

about 10 years ago, i was going to purchase a house in the South of France, had it all lined up, spoke to the mayor who had to ok the purchase, the estate agent put me in touch with a group of local expats in the area, what a bunch of clowns, they were honestly attempting to recreate " back home " but in the sun, they were mental, they were the reason we didnt buy in the end, I didnt want to be part of that

When you see those programmes like Bargain Brits In The Sun it amuses me to see the British immigrants seeking out the best Sunday dinner, Bars that have bingo etc and that caravan park just outside Benidorm full of British immigrants