Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
On another note, Peter Shilton writing an article and going on tv criticizing Maradona for a handball that happened 34 years ago less than 24 hours after he died shows what a small small man he is
Just watched Shilton on the news, how embarrassing moaning that Maradona never, ever apologised to him. No matter what standard of football it is, if the ref gives a goal the scorer celebrates, Shilton was a pro footballer for God’s sake, how would he have felt in a World Cup quarter final had Lineker did the same but then refused to accept the goal, telling the ref that he’d handled? If he’s any type of pro he’d be livid, the fans would have berated Lineker as well, you take what ever advantage you can. We were fuming at Anfield but I certainly didn’t expect Joe Jordan to approach the ref with, “I’m so sorry referee it was me that handled the ball, you’ve made a mistake, it’s, in fact, a Welsh free kick” whilst turning to his team mates and his bench saying, “Sorry chaps but I cannot accept the penalty decision”. And as I’ve mentioned before the likes of The Sun would have had a field day had Gascoigne scored such a goal, they’d have revelled in it.