+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Penarth Sea front is now a pub

Penarth Sea front is now a pub

Has anyone been recently, two of the restaurants at least, there may be more are serving takeaway pints, all the seafront benches are filled with people drinking.

It's not bad down there when the Sun is out, but a can of San Miguel with a plastic glass is £4.00, so they are doing alright!

Maybe this is what will happen for a bit, people just drinking in the streets?

Re: Penarth Sea front is now a pub

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Has anyone been recently, two of the restaurants at least, there may be more are serving takeaway pints, all the seafront benches are filled with people drinking.

It's not bad down there when the Sun is out, but a can of San Miguel with a plastic glass is £4.00, so they are doing alright!

Was there last Sunday week. A crowd of 'tinkers' with their horse & traps parked on the front. Queues going into the Italian restaurant , and people coming out with trays of lager in those flimsy plastic pots. Having a great time they were..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Was there last Sunday week. A crowd of 'tinkers' with their horse & traps parked on the front. Queues going into the Italian restaurant , and people coming out with trays of lager in those flimsy plastic pots. Having a great time they were..
    I was there on Thursday, there were people drinking everywhere, the toilet was covered in sick and blood it smelled horrendous, it looks like it will go downhill quickly.

[QUOTE=A Quiet Monkfish;5092131]Was there last Sunday week. A crowd of 'tinkers' with their horse & traps parked on the front.

Swansea jacks on their way back from 'boro?

I’m from and live in Penarth. The seafront, cosmeston & marina areas have been pretty much packed out since the start of lockdown regardless with people not really giving a shit. I’ve personally avoided these areas as much as possible, it’ll all still be there later on. But now quite a few places are selling take away beers theres now a lot of groups hanging around, pissed up and some pubs have actually been closed in Penarth due to people congregating outside and the usual antics, urinating in the street and general pub behaviour carrying on. But the gatherings are now happening in park areas and other public places with youths over cosmeston getting drunk and throwing their bottles in the lakes, etc, etc.
    With the weather the way it’s been it was inevitable but still all quite depressing seeing and hearing about it.
    Are we really that desperate as a nation to get on the piss that much?
    I personally like a drink or two and don’t hide that fact but walking through the streets with warm lager in a plastic cup just dosn’t appeal to me.

Alcohol turns idiots into complete arseholes

International

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    I’m from and live in Penarth. The seafront, cosmeston & marina areas have been pretty much packed out since the start of lockdown regardless with people not really giving a shit. I’ve personally avoided these areas as much as possible, it’ll all still be there later on. But now quite a few places are selling take away beers theres now a lot of groups hanging around, pissed up and some pubs have actually been closed in Penarth due to people congregating outside and the usual antics, urinating in the street and general pub behaviour carrying on. But the gatherings are now happening in park areas and other public places with youths over cosmeston getting drunk and throwing their bottles in the lakes, etc, etc.
    With the weather the way it’s been it was inevitable but still all quite depressing seeing and hearing about it.
    I personally like a drink or two and don’t hide that fact but walking through the streets with warm lager in a plastic cup just dosn’t appeal to me.
    maybe drink it faster?

England is flexing and changing its laws to allow more El Fresco drinking hospitality to save its industries, I doubt we will in a rush

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Alcohol turns idiots into complete arseholes
    a lot of footy fans would agree with you on that one , gone are those those days of sober football .

I think you might find the excesses of sun and alcohol has been a British thing for some time now both here and abroad we were so proud of it we feast on programs like Benidorm to ensure we can see how special we are

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    England is flexing and changing its laws to allow more El Fresco drinking hospitality to save its industries, I doubt we will in a rush
    You can call me Al.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I was there that afternoon , it was like a party down there from the pony and trap owning community. They brought with them boxes of bottles of beer and cider, and of course left to all on the seafront before they left.

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5092179]You can call me Al.[/QUOTE

He does come out with some pearlers😂

I went to cosmeston last week and was surprised how quiet it was. As for the drinking on the pier, plenty of pissheads in penarth who spend lots of time in the pubs but £4 a can? I can get 12 of them for a tenner in my local shop and sit in my nice garden. I guess it shows how desperate some folk are....

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    a lot of footy fans would agree with you on that one , gone are those those days of sober football .

I think you might find the excesses of sun and alcohol has been a British thing for some time now both here and abroad we were so proud of it we feast on programs like Benidorm to ensure we can see how special we are
    Benidorm is mocking people like that...

It's dragging the area down isn't it, Penarth used to appear a fairly civilised place, but it looked a bit rough last week?

I'm surprised the councillors or more snobby residents there haven't been sending the police down to try and stop them serving?

It's our national sport.

It's dragging the area down isn't it, Penarth used to appear a fairly civilised place, but it looked a bit rough last week?

I'm surprised the councillors or more snobby residents there haven't been sending the police down to try and stop them serving?
    To be honest it’s always been a mixed bag. On the whole it is quite normal and civilised but It still suffers from the usual crime and vandalism like most places. Its always been a very working class town with terraced housing and council estates but the Victorian villas towards the beachfront, clifftops which the coal barons built have always had wealthy owners and families. So a very wide variety of folk from poor to elite. The past 10-20 years has seen an influx of well to do’s driving the property prices up and thinking by moving to Penarth they now live in Monaco. However it’s just like any other place, lots of youths and people who pack out the pubs on weekends, petty drug use, scrapping, usual things. But that is in the minority now so yeah generally it is a nice place and can think of a lot worse and there are plenty of nice places to dine and drink (I just avoid the chav pubs).
    The kids and drinkers are now bored though and it’s spilling out into the streets, as soon as they find a pub doing take outs they’re straight up there, congregate on mass and it ends up causing a disturbance outside. Then the police close it down.
    In all honesty though I don’t really know how or why takeaway beer is classed as essential. Pubs are still closed in Wales and no timeline as to when they will be open so how they are getting away with selling it I don’t know.