+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is there a future for the labour party ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdsover.... View Post
    Sadly Labour has not learned the lessons of the past, under Michael Foot labour was unelectable and allowed Thatcher a free role to do virtually has she liked. 30 odd years on and we're back to a very similar situation with a Labour leader very similar to Foot and with the same result. They've got to go back to the middle ground as they did in the mid 90's, if they remain as they are sadly I fear that there will be quite a few of us who will never see a Labour government again in our lifetime.
    I think the Tories have got the "middle ground" covered now, so it's pointless Labour going there anyway. So is the Labour party in effect irrelevant now? Obviously the Tories HAVE to deliver now as, as another poster has pointed out, the traditional Labour voters in the North will desert them in 5 years time and we will be back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I think the Tories have got the "middle ground" covered now, so it's pointless Labour going there anyway. So is the Labour party in effect irrelevant now? Obviously the Tories HAVE to deliver now as, as another poster has pointed out, the traditional Labour voters in the North will desert them in 5 years time and we will be back to square one.
    Putting things into a Welsh context an expert on the box the other day was talking about it being a big step to abandon a party that you have always voted for that perhaps your parents had always voted for but once the spell is broken then those voters are in play the next time round, they might well not vote for the party that they have left and they might not vote for the party they had just voted for but they might vote for another party - I wonder if the home team Plaid Cymru could profit ?, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Putting things into a Welsh context an expert on the box the other day was talking about it being a big step to abandon a party that you have always voted for that perhaps your parents had always voted for but once the spell is broken then those voters are in play the next time round, they might well not vote for the party that they have left and they might not vote for the party they had just voted for but they might vote for another party - I wonder if the home team Plaid Cymru could profit ?, time will tell.
    A lot can happen in the next 5 years, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Do you really? I don't, they went the way an awful lot of people wanted them to when it came to Brexit, but I'd say there are millions of middle ground voters who don't believe they have a true political home these days.