+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    You need to await the updated figures from PHE before you can say that for certain. Remember that they, stupidly in my opinion, have been counting all deaths from people who have ever had Covid-19, even if they for example died by being run over by a bus.
    as long as there aren't any significant differences in reporting of deaths between Wales and England (and I don't think there are) then you can calculate it using a z test. there is a large difference in the proportions, way more than could be explained by people being hit by buses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    as long as there aren't any significant differences in reporting of deaths between Wales and England (and I don't think there are) then you can calculate it using a z test. there is a large difference in the proportions, way more than could be explained by people being hit by buses.

You said Wales had 5% population and only 3.3% of the deaths,. Im saying that the 1565 figure you probably used cannot be compared to the England figure. Use 2491 and then see what you come up with

You said Wales had 5% population and only 3.3% of the deaths,. Im saying that the 1565 figure you probably used cannot be compared to the England figure. Use 2491 and then see what you come up with
    see my last post

see my last post
    I did. Using the comparative updated PHW data the UK death total today is 47136. Wales deaths sadly 2491.

That's 5.28% of the total, about average for our population size. Certainly well above the 3.3% you mentioned.

As far as the ONS report from Cyril the coaches is concerned I looked at it briefly and noted that whilst Wales had less excess deaths than England in the Jan- June 2020 period there were a lot of important variables not included. The level of obesity in patients treated, the BAME status...these are things that we already know make a significant difference to outcomes.

At the end of all this none of the UK home countries has done very well in handling this pandemic, and its not over yet!

I did. Using the comparative updated PHW data the UK death total today is 47136. Wales deaths sadly 2491.

That's 5.28% of the total, about average for our population size. Certainly well above the 3.3% you mentioned.

As far as the ONS report from Cyril the coaches is concerned I looked at it briefly and noted that whilst Wales had less excess deaths than England in the Jan- June 2020 period there were a lot of important variables not included. The level of obesity in patients treated, the BAME status...these are things that we already know make a significant difference to outcomes.

At the end of all this none of the UK home countries has done very well in handling this pandemic, and its not over yet!
    you are comparing different things there, the 2491 figure is all deaths where Covid 19 was mentioned at all, whereas the 47136 is where covid is deemed to be the cause of death.
    the total figure for the uk where covid is mentioned is a lot higher, and the figure for wales where covid is deemed to be the cause of death is around about 1500.
    You shouldn't combine the two

you are comparing different things there, the 2491 figure is all deaths where Covid 19 was mentioned at all, whereas the 47136 is where covid is deemed to be the cause of death.
    the total figure for the uk where covid is mentioned is a lot higher, and the figure for wales where covid is deemed to be the cause of death is around about 1500.

see easier post which shows PHE data sources and PHW data sources. Im trying to compare apples with apples. The 2491 figure for Wales is comparable to the PHE figures for data sources, and the PHW site itself states that the Wales data is only for hospital and care homes so not complete

see easier post which shows PHE data sources and PHW data sources. Im trying to compare apples with apples. The 2491 figure for Wales is comparable to the PHE figures for data sources, and the PHW site itself states that the Wales data is only for hospital and care homes so not complete
    No, you are comparing a figure for all cases that mention covid 19 to all ones that deem it to be the cause of death

Aren’t the figures where COVID is said be the cause of death untrustworthy as well. People who were on the verge of dying with other illnesses who tested positive for COVID just ticked off as a COVID death.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Aren’t the figures where COVID is said be the cause of death untrustworthy as well. People who were on the verge of dying with other illnesses who tested positive for COVID just ticked off as a COVID death.
    I think the total excess deaths is the most sensible comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Yes, the England figures include anyone who ever tested positive for Covid whether treated or asymptomatic. If they died from other causes like an accident or heart attack they are included as Covid deaths.

This is taken directly from the ONS site on the latest numbers by country that gives the like for like comparison that Rjk is referencing.

In England, including deaths that occurred up to 17 July 2020 but were registered up to 25 July, of those we have processed so far, the number involving COVID-19 was 48,790; the comparative number of death notifications reported by the DHSC on GOV.UK was 40,680.

In Wales, including deaths that occurred up to 17 July but were registered up to 25 July, of those we have processed so far, the number involving COVID-19 was 2,501; the comparative number of death notifications reported by the DHSC on GOV.UK was 1,546 and PHW numbers, which come from the same source as the DHSC figures but are continuously updated, showed 1,547 deaths.