Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
Well some of us were into prog rock but it has to be said regarding your musical taste that Yours Is No Disgrace. Not being Lazy, you obviously discovered your own Fanfare For the Common Man via a different route so it's not a case of Us and Them or you just Counting Out Time. Being a Twentieth Century Schizoid Man it couldn't have been easy for you though.

For my part, having had a strict father who wouldn't let us change the dial on the radio, I went from having to listen to the soporific sounds of the Mike Sammes singers and Max Jaffa (on Radio 2) straight to Deep Purple, Man and Pink Floyd - and without passing through pop.
I saw Yes at the Capitol on the day West Ham beat Fulham in 1975 Cup Final - got Us and Them and Twenty First Century Schizoid Man on that playlist I mentioned. I went through a mercifully short Mike Sammes Singers and Max Jaffa phase as well and, sadly, my old man, who did get me into Johnny Cash to be fair, was a huge fan of Roger Whittaker and his bloody whistling through much of my teens as well.