+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: off-topic - MacBook V PC Laptop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: off-topic - MacBook V PC Laptop

You don't need to take it back, you just need to get used to it. It'll last you forever

I bought a really cheap laptop, about £220 quid just to plug into my TV to watch sport mainly Cardiff matches on I follow and use my I pad for everything else. Suggest persevering with the Mac while still using the laptop for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You don't need to take it back, you just need to get used to it. It'll last you forever
    No, it absolutely will not. Built-in obsolescence is part of Apple's business model.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No, it absolutely will not. Built-in obsolescence is part of Apple's business model.
    My partner uses my old MBP which is a 2012 model. She uses it for the same things as the OP and it works flawlessly.

Whilst she MIGHT not be able to upgrade beyond Big Sur, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work for another 5-10 years. 15-20 years isn’t bad for a laptop.

It is upgraded to two ssd’s (one in optical drive) with 16gb. This is probably the biggest negative about new MBPs, they aren’t user upgradable .

The OS will takes a while to get used to but it is very intuitive once you know your way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

The OS will takes a while to get used to but it is very intuitive once you know your way around.
    Seems to be the main message. The non-intuitive way of working will become OK once you've learnt it.

It's an interesting thing though how all this has panned out. Apple\s big selling point forever is that everything works as a package. It's not surprising as (back a long time) you bought your Apple machine that connected to your apple printer through appletalk. It's the same now, everything works as it's all so tightly controlled by Apple. The downside is relative lack of openness and hence competition..
    There used to be quality Windows machines that were dropped presumably because there were so many cheaper machines around that lasted the requisite amount of time before hardware advances made them anyway redundant. It'd be interesting to know what would happen if there cheap Mac clones around (as there were in that Apple 2 days). Hardware lifetime is one thing, laptop battery life is another. I don't know if Apple did batterygate on laptops or only 'phones.
    We have a lot of scientists where I work and they like Macs as MacOS is essentially Unix and they can boot linux. It's rather typical of Apple that they take an existing product (BSD Unix) which is free, but importantly not open-source, add things and then it becomes their proprietary OS that nobody is allowed to access.