Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
Bravo. What do you think draws you to places of (what you classify as) human invention?
After all I'm guessing you steer clear of places that take fairies, goblins and wizards seriously.
I'm drawn to all sorts of facets, old fruit. Geographic wonders, linguistics, people, psychology, sport, real ale, music, customs, how we are conditioned and a multitude of other things.
However people behave it's interesting to know why: in the case of religion it's about belief systems foisted upon them by rulers, empires, parents, peer groups etc.
That is part of history, the movement of peoples, conflict and a lot else. Language is similar in that respect. Show me a native Spanish speaker anywhere on the globe and it's likely that we can probably guess not only his or her deity but the exact schism pertaining to it.
You are a native English speaker brought up in a country where Christianity has been the dominant religion and where you were almost certainly taught Christianity at school, have been subjected to renditions of God Save The Queen, probably sang carols at school and your parents were probably either Christian even if nominally.
Native English speakers in the UK are likely to be Christians if they have any religion at all and history tells us why. All that is exceedingly interesting but had you been born 4,000 years ago where I am right now you would have been worshipping other deities.
Try and take the blinkers off and have an overview of humanity taking into account time and space.
By the way, many of your Bible stories were filched from preceding religions.