Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
Thanks Sludge, she has been in a care home since May last year. I spoke with Age Cymru a few weeks ago, they were really helpful in helping make sense of the system after the council confused the hell out of me. We are looking at the deferred payment agreement so we don't have to sell her house. Do you think Age Cymru can kick the council up the arse then?
Have you got Power of Attorney set up? A shed load of paperwork but very, very useful when it comes to any financial dealings such as deferred payment. Also, depending on the value of the house, care costs can outstrip asset value in a matter of years.4 years on an average house. I looked into deffered payment for my dad. £350 in legal fees to set up. Plus an annual charge equivelant to 1.5% for ongoing fees/interest payable to the council on sale. This is in England (Dudley) last checked 18 months ago. Costs will vary across councils. Important that any siblings understand that the council will have a financial interest in the house (it is a type of equity release) and that all understand the financial arrangements your mum is setting up. I found Cardiff Council most helpful. Bad news is that you have to be on the ball to be effective in the process with understanding the system the main challenge. Age Cymru are very good at pointing in the right direction.
Good luck.