+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Radio 1 refusing to play Fairytale of New York without edit.

They've got it wrong. But it's understandable. It's the BBC. What's the big deal anyway? You'll hear the song with the word "faggot" edited out. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They've got it wrong. But it's understandable. It's the BBC. What's the big deal anyway? You'll hear the song with the word "faggot" edited out. It happens.
    I'm pretty sure they've editted it out for at least 10 years haven't they, surprised people actually care.

There is no end to things people will moan about that doesn't actually affect them.

I think people just need to remember we don't know what it's like to be a marginalised group so we should probably realise that we aren't the best people to decide what is and isn't offensive with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've editted it out for at least 10 years haven't they, surprised people actually care.

There is no end to things people will moan about that doesn't actually affect them.

I think people just need to remember we don't know what it's like to be a marginalised group so we should probably realise that we aren't the best people to decide what is and isn't offensive with stuff like this.
    Oh come on...we’re Welsh we been marginalised for fecking centuries of course we know how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Oh come on...we’re Welsh we been marginalised for fecking centuries of course we know how it feels.
    Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life? I’ve lived outside of wales for 20 years and it’s never affected me.

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life? I’ve lived outside of wales for 20 years and it’s never affected me.
    No because I don’t get offended easily but I have been in certain company whereby the Welsh can be the butt of the joke so my point is I do know what it’s like to be on the receiving end.

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life?
    I have watched several episodes of "High Hopes".

It's never happened to me so it doesn't happen to other people?

I wouldn't argue that being Welsh gives you substantial insight into what it means to identify as one of the protected characteristics but there are many actions which make up discrimination (historical and present day) and a relatively small number of those have a crossover with experience of Welsh people. But if marginalisation is act of treating something as if it's less or not important then not sure how you can say Wales as country and Welsh culture hasn't been marginalised, even if you're just describing how Welsh people treat those things without going into anything else. Perhaps the main difference though is that we are able to chose to have being Welsh as an inconsequential part of your life or not part of your life at all whereas as a person who is potentially hurt by this word isn't in a position where they can do that and too often it's other people making sure it's a consequential part of their life for all the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I wouldn't argue that being Welsh gives you substantial insight into what it means to identify as one of the protected characteristics but there are many actions which make up discrimination (historical and present day) and a relatively small number of those have a crossover with experience of Welsh people. But if marginalisation is act of treating something as if it's less or not important then not sure how you can say Wales as country and Welsh culture hasn't been marginalised, even if you're just describing how Welsh people treat those things without going into anything else. Perhaps the main difference though is that we are able to chose to have being Welsh as an inconsequential part of your life or not part of your life at all whereas as a person who is potentially hurt by this word isn't in a position where they can do that and too often it's other people making sure it's a consequential part of their life for all the wrong reasons.
    Admittedly, I have misused the word discrimination here so undermines the point. Protected characteristics can be discimrinated against, anyone can face prejudice - is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I'm not saying Welsh culture hasn't be marginalised, quite the opposite. But I just think it's a different argument.

Being Welsh hasn't stopped me progressing in my job, holding hands with my partner, worried about entering a country as it's legal to be Welsh, it doesn't make me more likely to get assaulted, I've never had to hide being Welsh and there are at least 3 million other people who are proud to be welsh with no fear of real prejudice from society.

I just don't think it's a helpful comparisson.

I'm not saying Welsh culture hasn't be marginalised, quite the opposite. But I just think it's a different argument.

Being Welsh hasn't stopped me progressing in my job, holding hands with my partner, worried about entering a country as it's legal to be Welsh, it doesn't make me more likely to get assaulted, I've never had to hide being Welsh and there are at least 3 million other people who are proud to be welsh with no fear of real prejudice from society.

I just don't think it's a helpful comparisson.
    Being Welsh and being from the LGBT+ community is not the same, I hoped I had made that clear in my last sentence by saying a person who is potentially hurt by this word can't chose not to be LGBT+ whereas one can chose not to be Welsh, and accept my middle section within that paragraph has stepped in another direction.

The point I was trying to make at the start (admittedly, misusing "discrimination") is there is some crossover which gives some limited understanding of the experience. For example, queer people being underrepresented in the and/or unfairly represented by the media we see in day-to-day life or being treated as, at best, an afterthought in offices of political power which is also part of being a marinalised group. It's not the same as still having a higher risk of being ostracised by your family, being passed over for a promotion, not being able to dress how you would like to in too many places or having to check travel advice before travelling, but there was a reason the LGBT+ activist groups and Welsh miners were able to work together as demonstrated in film Pride.

Has being Welsh ever had a negative affect on your life?
    I am aware of Owen Money

I’m surprised people even notice, god knows how many times I’ve listened and sang along to it in the last 25 years, never even noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Shane has said it means that, and it is taken in the context of how she would speak. It doesn't offend me but I am not gay. Faggot is a bundle of sticks on a fire (as well as the meat), and they used to burn gay people to death. That's why it's offensive. Do they say s**t and f**k? No. It is a complete non story.

Final word, the actual artist understands why they've done it. Him. The bloke that wrote the flipping thing.
    Looks like you've done some serious research (or picked it up in Nuts) whereas I had not really given it that much thought, nor heard Shane McGowan's comments.

Isn't it just a word that rhymes with maggot

Isn't it a song centred around a couple that for years had their ups and downs, slinging insults at each other in a drunken rage.
    This this is a song, a performance not too dissimilar to what goes on in Eastenders or Corrie. Gratuitous violence is commonplace on telly, shouldn't it be treated it the same?

As for Shane and the interview where he says what you say he says, I'm guessing it was the first thing that entered his pickled brain, especially as the interviewer (daily mail?) was buying.
    He said the right thing.

Far worse stuff played / shown by the BBC over the years.
    Attention seeking, non story, moral high ground, sells papers, takes heat off what really matters in this day and age... take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Looks like you've done some serious research (or picked it up in Nuts) whereas I had not really given it that much thought, nor heard Shane McGowan's comments.

Isn't it just a word that rhymes with maggot

Isn't it a song centred around a couple that for years had their ups and downs, slinging insults at each other in a drunken rage.
    This this is a song, a performance not too dissimilar to what goes on in Eastenders or Corrie. Gratuitous violence is commonplace on telly, shouldn't it be treated it the same?

As for Shane and the interview where he says what you say he says, I'm guessing it was the first thing that entered his pickled brain, especially as the interviewer (daily mail?) was buying.
    He said the right thing.

Far worse stuff played / shown by the BBC over the years.
    Attention seeking, non story, moral high ground, sells papers, takes heat off what really matters in this day and age... take your pick.
    He's even tweeted about it . I literally read the article and then pissed myself when he tweeted that knobhead Fox.

Faggot doesn't mean that, now it is just a word. You've not got a clue have you. You wouldn't say f--k, so you won't say faggot. It really is that simple. Faggot is a homophobic slur.

Who cares? Why do you care? If anyone is the snowflake, attention seeking making the most out of a non story it is you. You can't swear on Radio 1. Fine. If you care that much, listen to it on Spotify.