+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Christmas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When was he born then? I dont think the shepherds would have been watching their flocks in the middle of winter, so I'm guessing it was a few months either side?
    I believe the latest estimates by bible scholars put the birth in autumn, but I (and they) could be wrong.
    For sure, we don't mark the years as time since his birth or death, but the current system of BC / AD was decided by some clerics at the council of Nicea, in what became 325AD - but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I believe the latest estimates by bible scholars put the birth in autumn, but I (and they) could be wrong.
    For sure, we don't mark the years as time since his birth or death, but the current system of BC / AD was decided by some clerics at the council of Nicea, in what became 325AD - but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit
    It is not even know what year he was born in.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why should the precise date matter anyway?

Nice throwaway comment by bobh BTW "but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit" For what benefit might that be I wonder? And who are the many?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Why should the precise date matter anyway?

Nice throwaway comment by bobh BTW "but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit" For what benefit might that be I wonder? And who are the many?
    Indeed. Belief is more important than facts and evidence.

It is to some people. You're the opposite.

Ah, so the references to Tiberius and Pontius Pilate (which would date the crucifixion to around 30AD) by the Roman historian Tacitus would not count as independent evidence in your opinion then? It's a shame that you had to resort to such a belittling comment. I know most of the posters on this MB would love to be able to prove that Jesus never even existed but somehow he inconveniently just won't go away will he!

Ah, so the references to Tiberius and Pontius Pilate (which would date the crucifixion to around 30AD) by the Roman historian Tacitus would not count as independent evidence in your opinion then? It's a shame that you had to resort to such a belittling comment. I know most of the posters on this MB would love to be able to prove that Jesus never even existed but somehow he inconveniently just won't go away will he!
    I never suggested that Jesus didn't exist, old fruit. It's just significant that fine detail about his life is so scant that two of the three major branches of Abrahamism do not consider him to have been the son of God.

Feedback

I never suggested that Jesus didn't exist, old fruit. It's just significant that fine detail about his life is so scant that two of the three major branches of Abrahamism do not consider him to have been the son of God.
    one version is based on the one-ness of God so there absolutely cannot be God the Son, and the other version is the religion that Jesus was part of, so its hardly surprising that they don't consider him to be anything other than a follower and a blasphemer.

Jesus the bloke probably did exist. Jesus the bloke who rose from the dead, walked on water, fed 500 people with a fish, cured the incurable, etc probably did not. Most people like solid proof of some sort to believe in such things so if you could produce some (actual proof and not just some writings from the bible) then I’m sure a lot of the posters on here would be rational and humble enough to accept that with solid evidence Jesus both existed and performed miracles as the son of god.

But since you’ve already handwaved away the discussion about his birth, “why should the precise date matter”, no doubt hard evidence shouldn’t matter either as long as you simply believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Jesus the bloke probably did exist. Jesus the bloke who rose from the dead, walked on water, fed 500 people with a fish, cured the incurable, etc probably did not. Most people like solid proof of some sort to believe in such things so if you could produce some (actual proof and not just some writings from the bible) then I’m sure a lot of the posters on here would be rational and humble enough to accept that with solid evidence Jesus both existed and performed miracles as the son of god.

But since you’ve already handwaved away the discussion about his birth, “why should the precise date matter”, no doubt hard evidence shouldn’t matter either as long as you simply believe.
    Unsubstantiated stories from the Bronze Age at a time when most people were illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

I think you have missed my point. I asked why should the PRECISE date matter - I think you will find that this is one of those hair-splitting discussions which sceptics will naturally seize upon. Does it really matter if academics suggest a range of 2 to 3 years on an event which occurred two thousand years ago? There is a good summary of the evidence here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_of_birth_of_Jesus.

None of the early non-Biblical references to Jesus deny his existence. Even TBG doesn't deny it!

Feedback

or indeed if he was real