+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Donald Trump thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Donald Trump thread

Anyone watch the debate? It was just ending as I switched on and the reaction was one of saying that the whole thing had been a waste of time as the candidates just exchanged insults as a weak supervisor looked on. From what I can gather, the pundits tended to feel it just about favoured Biden because he didn't have any disasters, whereas all Trump did was appeal to his base when he needed to be picking up some of the what seems to be small number of undecided voters - I can't say whether I agree or disagree with this because I didn't watch, but it seems to have been an unedifying spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Anyone watch the debate? It was just ending as I switched on and the reaction was one of saying that the whole thing had been a waste of time as the candidates just exchanged insults as a weak supervisor looked on. From what I can gather, the pundits tended to feel it just about favoured Biden because he didn't have any disasters, whereas all Trump did was appeal to his base when he needed to be picking up some of the what seems to be small number of undecided voters - I can't say whether I agree or disagree with this because I didn't watch, but it seems to have been an unedifying spectacle.
    Like yourself Bob I didn’t watch it but in fairness to Trump he set a new precedent for a sitting American president by addressing a neo facist and white supremacist group to “Stand Back and Stand By...”

He’s such a man of the people.

It been described an a “shitshow...” by one political commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Like yourself Bob I didn’t watch it but in fairness to Trump he set a new precedent for a sitting American president by addressing a neo facist and white supremacist group to “Stand Back and Stand By...”

He’s such a man of the people.

It been described an a “shitshow...” by one political commentator.
    The people out to defend Trump over the comment are, well let's say they're struggling a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I haven't seen it but have seen the clips, and this is a pretty comprehensive live tweet thread of them.

Trump needs undecideds to come his way if he's going to win the election cleanly, and I can't see how anyone not already in his camp would be persuaded by this.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I haven't seen it but have seen the clips, and this is a pretty comprehensive live tweet thread of them.

Trump needs undecideds to come his way if he's going to win the election cleanly, and I can't see how anyone not already in his camp would be persuaded by this.
    You might have thought that if you were selling the narrative of a gaffe-prone, senile, sleepy, basement dwelling, drugged up opponent that if there were kernels of truth in that line of attack you would give Biden enough time and space to hang himself.

Seems like Trump did the opposite and by constantly interrupting and over-talking denied any opportunity for Biden to descend into a rambling stream of consciousness.

Perhaps after 4 years of people fawning over him Trump can no longer cope with direct criticism of his "achievements" and personality so lobbing firecrackers every couple of minutes was preferable to listening to someone talking him down. Even if the latter approach was more electorally beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You might have thought that if you were selling the narrative of a gaffe-prone, senile, sleepy, basement dwelling, drugged up opponent that if there were kernels of truth in that line of attack you would give Biden enough time and space to hang himself.

Seems like Trump did the opposite and by constantly interrupting and over-talking denied any opportunity for Biden to descend into a rambling stream of consciousness.

Perhaps after 4 years of people fawning over him Trump can no longer cope with direct criticism of his "achievements" and personality so lobbing firecrackers every couple of minutes was preferable to listening to someone talking him down. Even if the latter approach was more electorally beneficial.
    Well that was the trade-off. Let Biden speak and appear slow and past it, but risk him landing some heavy blows as there's a lot to criticise.

Strategy wise it's hard to know what the plan was, particularly as Chris Christie, part of trump's debate prep team, said after on ABC that this wasn't the strategy they planned for. Was that a bluff or was trump doing his own thing?

I suspect he likes the clips from the Clinton debate (you'd be in jail) and wanted more of the same