Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
You guess it's a 'healthy thing'?

We were in Cornwall 2 months ago and there were vacancies everywhere - especially hotels and restaurants, farming and retail.

A fraction of the European workers who used to keep those sectors going are now there and local people can no longer afford to live near a lot of the jobs (the 'cheaper' accommodation options have gone because of second home sales, rent hikes to cash in on Staycation, and the spread of AirBnB etc - even the tent options have shrunk). The only factor that should ease is the Covid self isolation cause of so many places temporarily or permanently closing.

I can't see much that is healthy in that. Brexit self harm followed by government neglect around housing and cost of living has created a crisis from which some will never recover.
You are absolutely right IMO to highlight the issue of second homes, AirBnB and the temporary, inevitable rise in prices due to the Covid staycation boom.

Also, whilst unemployment falling is undeniably good news, it's only a collection of regional economic data and the situation in different parts of the country can change, and a huge number of vacancies is no good either - although maybe Cornwall has 'overheated' and this is market correction in action?

I don't see how any of that is related to Brexit however? As I will always state mind, 2020/21 is a statistical washout. An anomaly and we can't compare much due to Covid.