+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Squad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Our Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Gunter is already 31, the last thing we need in that defence is another player in their thirties, past their peak and not able to play full seasons, so huge chunks of the wage budget are effectively under utilised.

I'd prefer someone young with a lot of potential from league one
    Believe me I do not want Gunter either, but given he's free and has ties to the club I can see it happening.

Given that our budget will be lower this summer I do hope Harris looks for younger players from either this league or in league 1. Any more players in their thirties is the equivalent of kicking the can down the road and we'll end up in a mess in two years time

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Believe me I do not want Gunter either, but given he's free and has ties to the club I can see it happening.

Given that our budget will be lower this summer I do hope Harris looks for younger players from either this league or in league 1. Any more players in their thirties is the equivalent of kicking the can down the road and we'll end up in a mess in two years time
    I don't totally blame the manager (NW) for going for older players, if they need time to develop they could be out of the door before they've found their feet, so it's understandable.
    that's why it shouldn't be left to the manager to bring in the players. the average manager duration in the EFL is less than ,18 months, so there's never that much incentive to develop youth.
    a director of football who is there for a much longer term would fix a lot of these issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't totally blame the manager (NW) for going for older players, if they need time to develop they could be out of the door before they've found their feet, so it's understandable.
    that's why it shouldn't be left to the manager to bring in the players. the average manager duration in the EFL is less than ,18 months, so there's never that much incentive to develop youth.
    a director of football who is there for a much longer term would fix a lot of these issues
    To be honest if Gunter is available for free I would take him on a 2 year contract.
    We definitely need to develop and also bring in some younger players but I cannot see that happening in one summer period.
    With Gunter we could move Bacuna into midfield and start to shape the team. A striker must be our main focus