Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Hate to change the back story and I know it's been a while since any other party had to actually govern and make real decisions UK wide, but it's not just "The Tories" that allow it of course. Multiple governments have. And my suspicion is that this is because removing it would lose the treasury more money.

I wouldn't take the loss of £7bn so lightly. What would you cut back on? Benefits? NHS? Education?

No easy decisions to make here, which I suppose is my point. These stories get spun with populist zeal, but the reality is quite different.
Useful bit of analysis that previous restrictions by George Osborne, which presumably weren't colonial did not lead to a great non-dom migration.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-ne...pr-22/Non-doms

Most seem embedded in some of the highest priced property in the country including Premier League superstar hotspots. Who knows if people decide to return to the US or India then there may be a trickle down to more affordable housing which should be good.

Personally I think that taxation policy should come in coherent packages. This seems a bit opportunist. I also agree that stories get spun with populist zeal and the reality is quite different. Probably more pertinent to the Rwandan thread though.