+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 2 - 0 GERMANY.

Re: FT: ENGLAND 2 - 0 GERMANY.

In the eyes of the English media and indeed a lot of their fans they are among the big boys of world football. In my opinion their record over the years belies this. Switzerland’s win last night was viewed as a giant killing by many, should England’s win this evening be classed as the same? The giants are surely the likes of Germany, France, Italy, Brazil and Argentina yet many English would put themselves in the same bracket. I wonder if any of the press report this evening’s win as a giant killing?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the eyes of the English media and indeed a lot of their fans they are among the big boys of world football. In my opinion their record over the years belies this. Switzerland’s win last night was viewed as a giant killing by many, should England’s win this evening be classed as the same? The giants are surely the likes of Germany, France, Italy, Brazil and Argentina yet many English would put themselves in the same bracket. I wonder if any of the press report this evening’s win as a giant killing?
    Great point there.

Has a team ever won a major tournament without conceding a goal? Surely that has never happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Has a team ever won a major tournament without conceding a goal? Surely that has never happened?
    Are you a Sun reporter?

England really shut down Germany there. But they didn't create anything themselves until they got their wingbacks forward into the attacking third.
    still could have gone either way.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I can't see many if any reporting it as a giant killing, especially as England are 4th in the FIFA rankings while Germany are 12th.

I agree that in the past the media and fans have had delusions of grandeur when it comes to England's chances in tournaments.
    I do think though that the current German team is the worst that I can remember seeing in my lifetime.

England could well win the tournament in a similar way to Greece winning it, i.e. not necessarily being the best team in the tournament, but they'd be fools to think that just because they laid the ghost to rest today that they are world beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    England really shut down Germany there. But they didn't create anything themselves until they got their wingbacks forward into the attacking third.
    still could have gone either way.
    Muller’s miss was the deal breaker, but that’s football, England had the rub of the green.

Re: ENGLAND v GERMANY. ko 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    England can have no excuses, they have everything going for them. Home game with 40,000 plus home fans roaring them on and very few opposition fans!
    And so it goes....easiest possible run in to the final!

Re: ENGLAND v GERMANY. ko 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    And so it goes....easiest possible run in to the final!
    And France thought they’d stroll it after going 3-1 up last night over confidence is a thing to be on their guard against, a bit too much talk, not from Southgate I might add, of an easy route.

Its cringeworthy coverage

Its the same as the Welsh media regarding rugby

Complete embarrassment

Naff off England

Apologies to our English fans but its nauseating

It must be said the anti English stuff is really petty and its time we overcome this розбийте цих англійських собак мої брати українці

I’ve turned off my Twitter account for now, it’s unbearable. Please Ukraine turn them over

England fans singing please don't take me home when their team has travelled a total of zero miles so far and will only have to go just over of a quarter of the distance Wales had to in their four matches even if they end end up winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It must be said the anti English stuff is really petty and its time we overcome this розбийте цих англійських собак мої брати українці

You guys need some salt. Just let our neighbours enjoy their run.

Too much negativity in the world, particularly last year and half. Seeing the masses in the stands going crazy last night was great in my opinion.

If the media bothers you just switch it off for a couple of weeks, watch some Netflix or something.

I think it would be nice to hear about something other than 66, maybe like when a virgin gets laid they will mellow a bit with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    England fans singing please don't take me home when their team has travelled a total of zero miles so far and will only have to go just over of a quarter of the distance Wales had to in their four matches even if they end end up winning it.
    By all means moan about our red cards, and VAR decisions (I've been doing plenty of that myself, especially the two sendings off). However I find all this moaning now about the format a bit embarrassing. After all, how many years has the format been known?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    You guys need some salt. Just let our neighbours enjoy their run.

Too much negativity in the world, particularly last year and half. Seeing the masses in the stands going crazy last night was great in my opinion.

If the media bothers you just switch it off for a couple of weeks, watch some Netflix or something.

I think it would be nice to hear about something other than 66, maybe like when a virgin gets laid they will mellow a bit with some success.

Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    By all means moan about our red cards, and VAR decisions (I've been doing plenty of that myself, especially the two sendings off). However I find all this moaning now about the format a bit embarrassing. After all, how many years has the format been known?
    It's a new format which, I thought, sounded pretty good in theory, but the practice has been awful and I see it as almost a duty to do my, tiny, part in trying to make sure it is not repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Many were unhappy with the format since it was announced. Would be a bit odd if it wasn't mentioned during the tournament.

Up until last night England press and fans hadn't got carried away and have almost been afraid to say that they're one of the favourites for the contest despite being ranked 3rd best in Europe - a total contrast to usual arrogance shown. That arrogance had instead been shown by the German press in run up to last night.

I think this English side represents a better side of England (as France was for the World Cup, it's a side where several of the parents/grandparents of players were immigrants and social work of Rashford has been impressive) and there is a lot to admire about the way they handle themselves which I think could also be a credit to the team psychologist (someone Mitchell who was with Wales in 2016?) and Southgate.

However, this tournament has clearly been a joke in the way some teams have had an advantage, none more so than England, and when you mention anything about this that the arrogance of fans on social media that has been missing comes out. There is also a side to English football which still sings about german bombers, boos all opposition national anthems and any anti-racism/pro LGBTQ+ message, and the BBC commentators were even saying Ukraine/Sweden injuries would have been enjoyed by English fans which wasn't a good look.

It's also bad for football if Portugal are followed by that France side are followed by this England side in terms of how dull the games are.

Plenty of lessons to take from this English side wherever they end up but I really hope they don't win this tournament. I think we're likely relying on Denmark, Italy or a fully fit Belgium side to stop that from happening.

And that's my final take on them.

*I think we're likely relying on Denmark, Italy or a fully fit Belgium side, or Spain with bit of luck to stop that from happening.*

England fans dressed up as crusaders with fake shield , sword and helmet

They are fully aware of the history of all that crap

Its cringeworthy

Shearer was embarrassing last night

Are they likely to meet Denmark or Belgium ?

Even Ukraine could turn them over

We never thought Denmark would do us but they did . The same thing could happen to England

If they win it , fair enough . I think Southgate seems like a decent guy and so far so do the players

But the media and some of the fans can naff off

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    England fans dressed up as crusaders with fake shield , sword and helmet

They are fully aware of the history of all that crap

Its cringeworthy

Shearer was embarrassing last night

Are they likely to meet Denmark or Belgium ?

Even Ukraine could turn them over

We never thought Denmark would do us but they did . The same thing could happen to England

If they win it , fair enough . I think Southgate seems like a decent guy and so far so do the players

But the media and some of the fans can naff off
    I wasn't surprised that the Danes knocked us out. The scoreline and the performance, yes, but not the overall result.

This thread is hilarious. I'm looking forward to the meltdown from some of the posters on here if England manage to win the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    This thread is hilarious. I'm looking forward to the meltdown from some of the posters on here if England manage to win the tournament.
    If England get to the final I am off to Iceland for a week for a fishing holiday