+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VE Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: VE Day

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Each to their own Matthew.

I'm glad you used the day to spend quality time with the family.

I've got you down mind as someone who hangs around the hospital whilst waiting on a Royal birth, clad in a Union Jack and screaming hysterically.
    I used to always think the royals were a waste of time, but as I get older, I see they do no harm ( apart from Andrew ) and I have mellowed with age about them

it hasn't got as far as wearing the union flag or screaming hysterically outside any hospital

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I used to always think the royals were a waste of time, but as I get older, I see they do no harm ( apart from Andrew ) and I have mellowed with age about them

it hasn't got as far as wearing the union flag or screaming hysterically outside any hospital
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.
    talking of Jubilees

We have been invited to a Jubilee party in our local Village, now normally I would think " Oh great, meeting people I have no real interest in ( unless they have been to Disney ? ? ? ), they will most probably be " middle class Englanders " ( it is a middle-class English village after all ) who I have very little in common with, im going to have a crap time, but having walked the dogs around the village during lockdown ( we moved here 3 weeks before the 1st lockdown ) and saying good morning / its a nice day to people out and about ( as we all did back them, actually be polite to others ) Im looking forward to it, Im sure some will annoy me, but thats all part of life

I must remember not to put a post on here " how did people celebrate the Queens Jubilee " as im sure it'll be very similar to how they celebrated VE Day, but with maybe more hatred towards the Queen and the union flag

The Soviet-style takeover of Radio Stations 1 to 4 when Phil The Greek pegged it was ridiculous. When Queeny goes I shall giving much of the British media a miss for a few days. I have no time for heads of state and peers who were given priveleged positions in life merely due to the bed they were born in. It's a ludicrous concept and the semi-deification of the royals me shudder.
    As for the retort that they bring in tourist income: so does Mickey Mouse in the States but that's no reason to deign him the Head of State. Er, hang on, that may be a better option than the turkeys they usually elect........

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Soviet-style takeover of Radio Stations 1 to 4 when Phil The Greek pegged it was ridiculous. When Queeny goes I shall giving much of the British media a miss for a few days. I have no time for heads of state and peers who were given priveleged positions in life merely due to the bed they were born in. It's a ludicrous concept and the semi-deification of the royals me shudder.
    As for the retort that they bring in tourist income: so does Mickey Mouse in the States but that's no reason to deign him the Head of State. Er, hang on, that may be a better option than the turkeys they usually elect........
    You'll do well to bypass the emotive tirade in just a 'Few Days' i'm sad to say. Have you thought about knocking down your Beach Bar and digging out a Bunker?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You'll do well to bypass the emotive tirade in just a 'Few Days' i'm sad to say. Have you thought about knocking down your Beach Bar and digging out a Bunker?
    I shall line the walls of the beach bar with Bacofoil, sit in there with a multitude of canned comestibles and a crate or two of jus de grape and watch documentaries about the French Revolution until the coast clears - and hoping to miss Nicholas Witchell fawning obsequiously to Chuck when I re-surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I shall line the walls of the beach bar with Bacofoil, sit in there with a multitude of canned comestibles and a crate or two of jus de grape and watch documentaries about the French Revolution until the coast clears - and hoping to miss Nicholas Witchell fawning obsequiously to Chuck when I re-surface.
    Wroclaw for me. Should do the trick.

Wroclaw for me. Should do the trick.
    Don't get too smug. I flew over to Austria on the morning of Lady Di's fatal accident - and it was wall to wall on Austrian TV too.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I'm with you to an extent about the monarchy. I've revised my opinions of my youth where I would've lolloped off their heads and will now be satisfied with selling them to the Yanks as The Goodies suggested.

I think they got enough in their skill set and connections to be self sustaining as a family so don't see the need why public money should be funding them? I actually feel for them due to all the intrusive press they must endure.

Harry and Meghan being an example of the worse excesses of the mindset of some of the media in England.

Give me until this afternoon mind and I could change my mind and want to guillotine them all.

I once lived in Bridgwater (something I keep schtum about) and the people in the otherwise civilised cul-de-sac I lived in decided to 'celebrate' VJ day.
    I say 'celebrate' rather than 'commemorate' as the evening was rounded off with Queen's 'We Are The Champions' being played at notch 11 on the speakers - but I can't remember the Japanese chap at No. 25 coming out to wave a scarf.