+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No more free Wales matches on S4C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: No more free Wales matches on S4C

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Quoting the article linked in the first post of the thread:

"The agreement comes through UEFA's centralised National Association media rights sales process, under which UEFA takes sole responsibility for the marketing and sales of broadcast rights for member associations."
    But it's still a case of highest bidder wins. Quite clearly Channel 4's bid for England games was higher than anyone else's. I understand both the FAW and SFA are happy with the income they'll be getting from it. Wouldn't have made any difference whether UEFA controlled it or not. Had it not been centralised, I'm sure the football associations on their own would have accepted Viaplay's offer.

Blaming UEFA is a bit pointless.

Re: No more free Wales matches on S4C

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But it's still a case of highest bidder wins. Quite clearly Channel 4's bid for England games was higher than anyone else's. I understand both the FAW and SFA are happy with the income they'll be getting from it. Wouldn't have made any difference whether UEFA controlled it or not. Had it not been centralised, I'm sure the football associations on their own would have accepted Viaplay's offer.

Blaming UEFA is a bit pointless.
    That’s not how Noel Mooneys response read. He had not seen the contract and it reads asa collective bargaining point on by UEFA on behalf of 55 nations. I’ve not seen a statement anywhere that the FAW were involved in the final process, although they must have signed up to the collective bargaining rights at the outset.