+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pension planning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Pension planning

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You do now !

They've got to cover their arses, so you've got to show you have taken advice.
    no tit you havent ! theres a box to tick saying you understand what you doing

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    no tit you havent ! theres a box to tick saying you understand what you doing
    Not on mine there wasn't.

Pension firm wouldn't even speak to me, without first getting authorisation off the FA.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Not on mine there wasn't.

Pension firm wouldn't even speak to me, without first getting authorisation off the FA.
    i didnt see yours but dont always take your opinion as correct

Every time I have taken financial advice it has ended it tears. Pensions, AVC's and endowment mortgage.
    I have no doubt that many people enjoy great benefits from consulting financial advisers but my fingers have been burned numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Every time I have taken financial advice it has ended it tears. Pensions, AVC's and endowment mortgage.
    I have no doubt that many people enjoy great benefits from consulting financial advisers but my fingers have been burned numerous times.
    You're not alone - before joining financial services 20 years ago I myself was mis-sold an endowment mortgage!

Things are infinitely better now than 20 years ago; standards of qualification and professionalism are far higher. However the British Steel pension situation a year or two ago sadly shows that poor advice and mis-selling haven't completely disappeared.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    You're not alone - before joining financial services 20 years ago I myself was mis-sold an endowment mortgage!

Things are infinitely better now than 20 years ago; standards of qualification and professionalism are far higher. However the British Steel pension situation a year or two ago sadly shows that poor advice and mis-selling haven't completely disappeared.
    On something like pensions, though, you don't really want to get it wrong. So, when it comes to my time I'll be getting advice. Is is possible to get advice from more than one FA, and how likely is it that they will give the same overall advice?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    On something like pensions, though, you don't really want to get it wrong. So, when it comes to my time I'll be getting advice. Is is possible to get advice from more than one FA, and how likely is it that they will give the same overall advice?
    Spot on. If your sitauion is really complex, or you are looking at investing a really large sum of money, I often recommend chatting to a couple of IFAs and make sure that you find someone that you're comfortable with and can work with.

The overall advice should be similar - there will be nuances, and no two advisers are likely to recommend the same specific investment - however whatever is recommended should be suitable for you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    Spot on. If your sitauion is really complex, or you are looking at investing a really large sum of money, I often recommend chatting to a couple of IFAs and make sure that you find someone that you're comfortable with and can work with.

The overall advice should be similar - there will be nuances, and no two advisers are likely to recommend the same specific investment - however whatever is recommended should be suitable for you.
    I am going to avoid the bloke that effed up our mortgage when we were buying a house. Deal nearly collapsed and we had already moved out from the other place. Saying that, he'll be retired by then anyway, unless he follows his own advice in which case he will still have to work

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

I always ask them, if you're so clever about money, how come you're still working.

Hate them (apart from my mate, cause he don't charge anything)

And if there are any younger guns on here, I would like to suggest you look into opening a stocks and shares ISA, best advice I ever had as a kid

I invested £12,000 inheritance at 19 years old, and just choose 20 random mutual funds from hargreaves & lansdown and put £600 in each of them.

my average return for the last 9 years has been 8%-15%

the compound interest in the real shit, at current protections that £12,000 will be worth around £450,000 - £500,000 at 55 years old. the hardest part was not touching it! not even for a house deposit.