+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    In a sense we get the Christmas we deserve. It's no good moaning about the expense of it all or crowded shops or road congestion or unwanted presents or houses with illuminated Santa Claus's on the roofs when what was originally a simple Christian event (the Christ Mass) has been seized upon as a huge money making opportunity in which we, whether we like it or not, are all impacted by it.

The Jehovah Witnesses (I am not one BTW) do not celebrate the birth of Jesus per se as they see it as the extension of a pagan festival and that nowhere in the New Testament is there a request that we should do so, which is fair enough. They overlook the fact though that December 25th is simply an official birthday as the precise time of his birth is not recorded. As a Christian it would not bother me at all if his birthday was shifted to say the 25th September but somehow I don't think that would go down too well in the world of commerce!

Hence the JW's have no involvement in the whole “Christmas thing” which must require a great deal of will power in these consumerist times and I admire them for that. They would obviously not condone my actions as a Christian who sends Christmas cards and buys presents for our grandchildren (we have a “no presents thank you” amnesty with other members of the family). My attitude is that as long as this does not overshadow and diminish the true meaning of Christmas, then I am easy with this.
    The 25th of December was when Ancient Rome celebrated the Winter Solstice and Christianity subsequently piggybacked that date.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When was he born then? I dont think the shepherds would have been watching their flocks in the middle of winter, so I'm guessing it was a few months either side?
    I believe the latest estimates by bible scholars put the birth in autumn, but I (and they) could be wrong.
    For sure, we don't mark the years as time since his birth or death, but the current system of BC / AD was decided by some clerics at the council of Nicea, in what became 325AD - but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I believe the latest estimates by bible scholars put the birth in autumn, but I (and they) could be wrong.
    For sure, we don't mark the years as time since his birth or death, but the current system of BC / AD was decided by some clerics at the council of Nicea, in what became 325AD - but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit
    It is not even know what year he was born in.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why should the precise date matter anyway?

Nice throwaway comment by bobh BTW "but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit" For what benefit might that be I wonder? And who are the many?

Nobody suggests that you shouldn't do, old fruit. One can express one's own sentiments about a subject on a message board without imploring others to follow suit.
    I'm sire you know what I was getting at.

personally, I love Christmas, it a few days off work, chance to see family and friends, eat " special food ", sure I can do all of that anytime, but its just easier over Christmas

The kids love it, everyone loves gifts

its all good in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    my ex used to go crazy for Christmas and expect numerous very expensive presents. the new Mrs rjk is from a culture that doesn't celebrate Christmas. she'll tell me not to get her anything and she doesn't get me anything, and frankly it is a much better situation
    Good way of doing it. Me and my partner spend at most 150 quid on eachother and it’s usually something we can enjoy together; fancy meal out, cocktail making course, weekend away, that sort of stuff. Chuck on top a book, some chocolates or nice bottle of something and that’s us sorted.
    I love Christmas time personally, always have since I was a kid. Get together and catch up with family and friends and get cosy with some music or films on and stuff my face with food.

Why should the precise date matter anyway?

Nice throwaway comment by bobh BTW "but many people say that they messed things about for their own benefit" For what benefit might that be I wonder? And who are the many?
    Indeed. Belief is more important than facts and evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    personally, I love Christmas, it a few days off work, chance to see family and friends, eat " special food ", sure I can do all of that anytime, but its just easier over Christmas

its all good in my book
    2 weeks off, ideal time to spend with friends and family

its all good in my book
    I'm not a massive fan of Christmas, but good for you, it is a few days off to hang about and take it easy.

It is to some people. You're the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    You could spend 1,500'ish or get them for nothing on the NHS.
    The NHS only do battery operated ones , no good for a confused elderly person

By people I presume you mean most people?
    I can't be arsed for this.

Have a nice life.

Ah, so the references to Tiberius and Pontius Pilate (which would date the crucifixion to around 30AD) by the Roman historian Tacitus would not count as independent evidence in your opinion then? It's a shame that you had to resort to such a belittling comment. I know most of the posters on this MB would love to be able to prove that Jesus never even existed but somehow he inconveniently just won't go away will he!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I can't be arsed for this.

Have a nice life.
    And you too

BTW I was just pointing out that yes, most people (but not all) don't even pretend Christmas is about Jesus or religion anymore.

It’s all about a couple of weeks respite at the end of a manic year. I love Christmas as do all of my family. I shut down my laptop, forget work for 2 weeks (3 this year) & just immerse myself in the relaxation of the festivities. We even go to the carol concert in Gloucester cathedral, not for religious purposes but just for the singalong and remembrance of primary school days six decades ago.

Ah, so the references to Tiberius and Pontius Pilate (which would date the crucifixion to around 30AD) by the Roman historian Tacitus would not count as independent evidence in your opinion then? It's a shame that you had to resort to such a belittling comment. I know most of the posters on this MB would love to be able to prove that Jesus never even existed but somehow he inconveniently just won't go away will he!
    I never suggested that Jesus didn't exist, old fruit. It's just significant that fine detail about his life is so scant that two of the three major branches of Abrahamism do not consider him to have been the son of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    my ex used to go crazy for Christmas and expect numerous very expensive presents. the new Mrs rjk is from a culture that doesn't celebrate Christmas. she'll tell me not to get her anything and she doesn't get me anything, and frankly it is a much better situation
    Mrs lardys family doesn't celebrate Christmas but she goes mental with presents, so I appear to have drawn two short straws compared to you.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    People trapped in meaningless man-made traditions which have zilch to do with the birth of Christ. I agree with you.
    All I would add is this; children like facts - tell them this is NOT the time of year that Christ was born and that it is an official birthday - just like the Queen has an official birthday which isn't her actual birthday.
    Also, now that we have plenty of excellent star charting software available (much of it free online) that we can actually look back and see what was seen in the sky in the years and months leading up to the actual event, which all tie in perfectly with each of the 9 Bible references to the 'star' that was seen before His birth.

This video > THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM < provides all the detail which you will need, and those with limited time can start from 31 minutes into the presentation. NB: All the details in the video can be verified on any decent astronomy programme such as this >> Stellarium.
    The adhesive side of a postage stamp will also provide all the detail I need

its all good in my book
    I agree I absolutely love it. Time off work, seeing family and friends, buying property gifts, few more drinks and food than usual.

I understand why people might not like it as all experiences of it are probably quite different but I always really look forward to it.

Feedback

what is this thread about? There are 12 days of Christmas and none of them are in ****ing November.

Feedback

or indeed if he was real

Feedback

I never suggested that Jesus didn't exist, old fruit. It's just significant that fine detail about his life is so scant that two of the three major branches of Abrahamism do not consider him to have been the son of God.
    one version is based on the one-ness of God so there absolutely cannot be God the Son, and the other version is the religion that Jesus was part of, so its hardly surprising that they don't consider him to be anything other than a follower and a blasphemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Anyone got any idea what I can get my mother for Christmas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    what is this thread about? There are 12 days of Christmas and none of them are in ****ing November.
    HtH

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I agree I absolutely love it. Time off work, seeing family and friends, buying property gifts, few more drinks and food than usual.
    Wish I could afford to buy people houses for Christmas