+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Brussels had better be very careful here.
    The figures do not lie and citing the Oxford AZ being unsafe because of a "high risk of thrombosis" has been proven to be rubbish, a miniscule percentage and on a par with the Pfizer vaccine.

Macron set his stall out early by not having the jab as did Merkel, quite obviously playing politics saying it was ineffective to oldies (again nonsense), it will be for the people of the various countries to decide for themselves.

Also are Italy really in a position to be turning down vaccines of any kind when they are hitting their 3rd wave?
    Yeah it almost seems that they are desperate for the Oxford jab to fail somehow, problem because we ordered lots of it early and they want it to go titsup, probably because we left the EU etc....the fact the Pfizer one has had a similar % of clots is laughable.....
    The bureaucracy of the EU makes me quite glad we are out of it....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah it almost seems that they are desperate for the Oxford jab to fail somehow, problem because we ordered lots of it early and they want it to go titsup, probably because we left the EU etc....the fact the Pfizer one has had a similar % of clots is laughable.....
    The bureaucracy of the EU makes me quite glad we are out of it....
    What has the pause in its use got to do with the EU? My understanding is that a number of countries, starting with Denmark and including the non-EU country Norway and Sweden, where Astra-Zeneca is a British-Swedish company have decided to pause its use against the advice of the EU's European Medical Agency.

Strange that countries exercising their national sovereignty rather than being subject to supposed EU bureaucracy triggers such a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    What has the pause in its use got to do with the EU? My understanding is that a number of countries, starting with Denmark and including the non-EU country Norway and Sweden, where Astra-Zeneca is a British-Swedish company have decided to pause its use against the advice of the EU's European Medical Agency.

Strange that countries exercising their national sovereignty rather than being subject to supposed EU bureaucracy triggers such a reaction.
    They are talking about stopping the Pfizer jab we have in order coming here in April with their export bollocks that’s what, do you watch the news? Von whatshername loves to try and threaten us now we’ve left!
    The delay in the Oxford one from India is a different matter entirely....I imagine they are struggerling to produce the one billion required and to ship them here....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They are talking about stopping the Pfizer jab we have in order coming here in April with their export bollocks that’s what, do you watch the news? Von whatshername loves to try and threaten us now we’ve left!
    The delay in the Oxford one from India is a different matter entirely....I imagine they are struggerling to produce the one billion required and to ship them here....
    There are two things going on.

1. The EU's negotiated contracts with Pfizer and Astra Zeneca and the political posturing by the EU around their failure to source the vaccine as quickly as the UK and
    2. The decision by individual countries in the EU and Norway/Iceland to pause the use of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine because of blood-clotting and other side effects.

The latter has nothing to do with the EU or its bureaucracy as you suggest but then again you should know that as you read the news!

There are two things going on.

1. The EU's negotiated contracts with Pfizer and Astra Zeneca and the political posturing by the EU around their failure to source the vaccine as quickly as the UK and
    2. The decision by individual countries in the EU and Norway/Iceland to pause the use of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine because of blood-clotting and other side effects.

The latter has nothing to do with the EU or its bureaucracy as you suggest but then again you should know that as you read the news!
    No it is not just EU countries who have banned the Oxford Vaccine but I suspect it is still a political decision in some countries arising in apart from the row with Astra Zeneca. France in particular has been bad mouthing the vaccine for weeks. Germany too has been pretty lukewarm.Such actions tend to plant doubt in peoples minds.

Don't take my word for it

The director general of Italy’s medicines authority AIFA someone far more qualified than any of us on here said on Tuesday
    in an interview with daily la Repubblica

“We got to the point of a suspension because several European countries, including Germany and France, preferred to interrupt vaccinations... to put them on hold in order to carry out checks. The choice is a political one,” Nicola Magrini told

More fool them. Being careful about side effects is one thing. Banning something which is causing problems in about 7 people per million when the alternative ( which incidentally also has a similiar side effect) is killing 1000/2000 per million in some of the countries doesn't seem to be the most sensible decision in the world.

Of course the effect needS to be investigated but not stopped. A rare side effect of Paracetamol causes a low platelet count which i9s one of the side effects being reported from the vaccine but there is a warniNG about that in the leaflet you get in a box. i suspect the result of this will be a similar warning being given with the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    No it is not just EU countries who have banned the Oxford Vaccine but I suspect it is still a political decision in some countries arising in apart from the row with Astra Zeneca. France in particular has been bad mouthing the vaccine for weeks. Germany too has been pretty lukewarm.Such actions tend to plant doubt in peoples minds.

Don't take my word for it

The director general of Italy’s medicines authority AIFA someone far more qualified than any of us on here said on Tuesday
    in an interview with daily la Repubblica

“We got to the point of a suspension because several European countries, including Germany and France, preferred to interrupt vaccinations... to put them on hold in order to carry out checks. The choice is a political one,” Nicola Magrini told

More fool them. Being careful about side effects is one thing. Banning something which is causing problems in about 7 people per million when the alternative ( which incidentally also has a similiar side effect) is killing 1000/2000 per million in some of the countries doesn't seem to be the most sensible decision in the world.

Of course the effect needS to be investigated but not stopped. A rare side effect of Paracetamol causes a low platelet count which i9s one of the side effects being reported from the vaccine but there is a warniNG about that in the leaflet you get in a box. i suspect the result of this will be a similar warning being given with the vaccine.
    I agree with some of what you say. It may be politically expedient for some countries to "pause" the use of something you have insufficient supply of in the first place. But this has to be at the expense of placing doubt in the minds of some of the people in those countries about having the vaccine in the future which must be counterproductive.

That said, this action started in places like Denmark which I wouldn't put on the list of usual suspects for that kind of thing. Also in that context Sweden must have more to lose than gain given that Astra-Zeneca is an Anglo-Swedish company. I think jumping to conclusions that all the individual countries that have paused its use don't have the interests of their citizens at heart would be equally wrong.

My point remains that there is an ever greater tendency to lump the EU and its collective actions together with the actions taken by individual countries because they have the sovereign right to do so when looking how the rest of Europe is handling these issues, which is becoming more and more adversarial due to political posturing on all sides.

I agree with some of what you say. It may be politically expedient for some countries to "pause" the use of something you have insufficient supply of in the first place. But this has to be at the expense of placing doubt in the minds of some of the people in those countries about having the vaccine in the future which must be counterproductive.

That said, this action started in places like Denmark which I wouldn't put on the list of usual suspects for that kind of thing. Also in that context Sweden must have more to lose than gain given that Astra-Zeneca is an Anglo-Swedish company. I think jumping to conclusions that all the individual countries that have paused its use don't have the interests of their citizens at heart would be equally wrong.

My point remains that there is an ever greater tendency to lump the EU and its collective actions together with the actions taken by individual countries because they have the sovereign right to do so when looking how the rest of Europe is handling these issues, which is becoming more and more adversarial due to political posturing on all sides.
    There is no doubt in my mind that suspension of the AZ vaccine by individual EU member states is a political one. The EMA and MHRA confirm that those given the current Covid-19 jabs show no more incidence of blood clots than in the general population.
    That's not, by the way, to say they cause blood clots, because there is no evidence that they do, just if you've had a jab you are as unlikely to develop a blood clot as if you hadn't had a jab.
    The MHRA and EMA are rigorous in their monitoring of drug side effects and you only have to look on their websites to see just how thorough they are in their medicine appraisals.