+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This thread is reminding me how average, or worse, Cardiff City have been for majority of their existence.

Whittingham was a great for us but for 99% of fans he was a very good Championship player only. How many clubs have fans asking for the stadium (or a statue and a stand) to be named after a very good Championship player?
    Yes they have been mediocre compared to a few clubs but we are never going to compete with those clubs. That doesnt mean we can't have our own history and achievements, it's not comparing our success to others.

I look at the players we have had and when were in PL, Whittingham if had more opportunity could have performed at a much higher level.

It's about loyalty, I'm certain he could have chased money by moving around to bigger clubs.

He has a ridiculous amount of goals, assists and appearances when the club was arguably in the brightest part of its history in living memory.

The guy was a legend and was already the greatest before tragedy stuck. I think a statue or family stand would be a good idea as would always keep his memory fresh for the youngsters who didn't get to see him, especially given he was a young man with a young family

Re: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Yes they have been mediocre compared to a few clubs but we are never going to compete with those clubs. That doesnt mean we can't have our own history and achievements, it's not comparing our success to others.

I look at the players we have had and when were in PL, Whittingham if had more opportunity could have performed at a much higher level.

It's about loyalty, I'm certain he could have chased money by moving around to bigger clubs.

He has a ridiculous amount of goals, assists and appearances when the club was arguably in the brightest part of its history in living memory.

The guy was a legend and was already the greatest before tragedy stuck. I think a statue or family stand would be a good idea as would always keep his memory fresh for the youngsters who didn't get to see him, especially given he was a young man with a young family
    Spot on. Its not like we are demanding a stand at Wembley named after him!!! Hes a huge part of our modern history, was a top class human being according to those who knew him and there is no-one I can think of in the 30 years ive been watching Cardiff who deserves more to be celebrated with a statue or a stand named after him.

So what if he was "just a championship player" we are just a championship club.