+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish Independence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Scottish Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Scots living outside Scotland shouldn't have a vote unless there are exceptional circumstances. Just like I should have no vote in a Welsh referendum.
    A Scottish person living in England would be massively affected by the vote. They would deserve a say.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    A Scottish person living in England would be massively affected by the vote. They would deserve a say.
    How would they be massively affected? If they are that concerned they should move back to the region they want to have a say in.
    And what criteria should apply to allow such people to vote? What defines anyone as being Scottish or having spent enough time in Scotland? Should a Devonian who lived for 20 years in Scotland have a vote after returning to Devon a year ago?
    Should anyone have a say in the future of a country when they no longer live in it?
    Should Scots who live abroad have a vote?
    Should Scots who have lived for 10 years outside Scotland have a vote? Should those who may never have to endure the consequences of the vote have a say?

I think it's simpler and more logical for only those registered as a resident in Scotland to have a vote - and consistent with our current electoral system when voting for our MPs. Those contributing to the local economy and who use the services provided by the taxes they pay should have a say - and not an exile like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How would they be massively affected? If they are that concerned they should move back to the region they want to have a say in.
    And what criteria should apply to allow such people to vote? What defines anyone as being Scottish or having spent enough time in Scotland? Should a Devonian who lived for 20 years in Scotland have a vote after returning to Devon a year ago?
    Should anyone have a say in the future of a country when they no longer live in it?
    Should Scots who live abroad have a vote?
    Should Scots who have lived for 10 years outside Scotland have a vote? Should those who may never have to endure the consequences of the vote have a say?

I think it's simpler and more logical for only those registered as a resident in Scotland to have a vote - and consistent with our current electoral system when voting for our MPs. Those contributing to the local economy and who use the services provided by the taxes they pay should have a say - and not an exile like me.
    Of course they'd be massively affected, that's the whole point - to make big changes.

I think British people who have lived abroad for less than 15 years are still allowed to register to vote. That seems more reasonable to me than saying you lose your rights if you move and if you want them then you should move back.