+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shelvey VAR goal this week Fascinating decision

Shelvey VAR goal this week Fascinating decision

Do watch it if you have not seen it.
    Both Sheffield defenders appeal for offside and the lino flags.
    The player that has come back from an offside position flicks header into the path of Shelvey who is onside runs on to slot past a goalkeeper who has stopped playing.

You see these offsides coming back from an offside position given every single week.
    I'm very keen to know what the actual rule is.
    GOAl or No Goal?????

For me the player that flicked on WAS offside when the ball was played forward.

Game is in a mess.

Re: Shelvey VAR goal this week Fascinating decision

The good old saying “play to the whistle”

Never heard of “play to the flag”

But Carroll who flicked it on was not Offside, that is what the VAR checked, the rule is simple was Carroll in a offside position when the ball was played up to him 'no' he then flicks it on to Shelvey who as you also point out was also on-side. no contention no drama.

The issue is that the players and linesman THOUGHT he might have come from an offside position, and stopped playing, that is just there stupid mistake always play to the whistle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4LLL5Vz9MY
    you can see the highlights here that shows he was on-side

If the player was onside because he jumped onside at the last second as the ball was played the lesson MUST be ignore the flag and continue playing ALWAYS. So now the schoolboy lesson play to the whistle must be right.
    But how can a goal be given after a referee has blown his whistle in other circumstances. Am I the only one confused?
    Lets not even consider that goal disallowed early in the season for something that happened 45 seconds earlier in the other half of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    The good old saying “play to the whistle”

Never heard of “play to the flag”
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    But Carroll who flicked it on was not Offside, that is what the VAR checked, the rule is simple was Carroll in a offside position when the ball was played up to him 'no' he then flicks it on to Shelvey who as you also point out was also on-side. no contention no drama.

The issue is that the players and linesman THOUGHT he might have come from an offside position, and stopped playing, that is just there stupid mistake always play to the whistle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4LLL5Vz9MY
    you can see the highlights here that shows he was on-side
    Thanks .... Nightmare ... players really must ignore linesmen in the premiership.

I bet the TV channels are loving it .

For crowds at the game it's not so good for TV watching its adding to the interest factor? you get too see the depth of analysis and camera views .

I suppose we may now cut referees now as it does show how tough this is to manage and view in a love moment?

Ref never blew his whistle

The fact the ref was following Shelvey shows he knew the lino had dropped a bollock by flagging, hence why he didn't whistle.

Sheffield United's players only have themselves to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Do watch it if you have not seen it.
    Both Sheffield defenders appeal for offside and the lino flags.
    The player that has come back from an offside position flicks header into the path of Shelvey who is onside runs on to slot past a goalkeeper who has stopped playing.

You see these offsides coming back from an offside position given every single week.
    I'm very keen to know what the actual rule is.
    GOAl or No Goal?????

For me the player that flicked on WAS offside when the ball was played forward.

Game is in a mess.
    You used to get booked for playing on and shooting once offside was given, now it’s encouraged.

Might as well just do away with linesmen now. Still earning £80k a year though, lovely jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    You used to get booked for playing on and shooting once offside was given, now it’s encouraged.

Might as well just do away with linesmen now. Still earning £80k a year though, lovely jubbly
    Bale had grief over a flag as well.........but he’s on £350k a week!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bale had grief over a flag as well.........but he’s on £350k a week!
    Gosh that would buy a few pairs of socks, or hospital beds , strange we don't attack footballers on such gross and offensive wages , as we might some rich capitalist business man , just because they play football.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh that would buy a few pairs of socks, or hospital beds , strange we don't attack footballers on such gross and offensive wages , as we might some rich capitalist business man , just because they play football.
    Oh come on, he’s working away, home to keep here, living in digs, got to make his own grub every day. I’ve had my fill of working away in the past, it’s not all beer & skittles....... well not so much skittles.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Oh come on, he’s working away, home to keep here, living in digs, got to make his own grub every day. I’ve had my fill of working away in the past, it’s not all beer & skittles....... well not so much skittles.

Jimmy Hill’s fault