+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: **** the Jubilee

Re: **** the Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's not like the Queen throws her weight around or anything.

I reckon I could take her if she tried.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That's because you have a complete inability to view anything from anyone else's perspective.

My point is, rants like this are no different to people who complain about things like pride. If you aren't interested in it, don't attend, simple as that.

Like I said, live and let live.
    If only Henry the 8th had that same attribute

That's not to say that having a president instead isn't a good move, it's just we choose not to. And it brings in the tourists.
    This is true*. Visiting the Duke of Kent is high on the list of all visitors.

Genuine question (for all) because I'm baffled - why is it something to be proud of?

(*Not true).

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I'll make you a deal, I won't take the day off if we get rid of the royals.
    But you will take the day off though won't you

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    But you will take the day off though won't you
    Some of us don't get the choice. The office is closed whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, that's embarrassing.
    “Lost for words” “Embarrassing ” FFS you 2 behave yourselves.

I don’t believe in The Easter Bunny or The Bible but I still get Easter off.

The Royals are just an average if slightly dull family. I cannot understand why people fawn all over these mediocrities.

I don’t mind the Royals apart from Charles as he’s a WEF puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I don’t mind the Royals apart from Charles as he’s a WEF puppet
    What about Jim? My arse!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    “Lost for words” “Embarrassing ” FFS you 2 behave yourselves.
    Shut up Bill.

I'm not a raving monarchist, but I do think the monarchy is something to be proud of. Generally speaking, constitutional monarchies are pretty good examples of government - think Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Japan, Holland, Canada, Australia, etc. That's not to say that having a president instead isn't a good move, it's just we choose not to. And it brings in the tourists. It's not like the Queen throws her weight around or anything.
    So does Mickey Mouse but that's no reason for him to be Head of State.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    might be better than DeSantis

Let's be fair if folk weren't moaning about this they'd find another moan fest .

Such a woe is me bunch, all of the same age, all of the same political bent , probably a lot of ex government workers 🤔

Must be fun in the pub with this bunch.

The Jubilee will being great joy to millions which had to be a good thing .

Those with a chip on the shoulder best they stay in and moan through their keyboards.

P.MA.

Could we just not cut state funding and get them funded by the people who want them?

Without state funding so much more money can get pumped into the nhs and parties at number 10.

It can be like an optional direct debit like people set up for other charity cases that they want to support.

Someone early in the thread mentioned footballers - they’re funded by the people who want to watch it though right.. who choose to do so?

And if they don’t get the funding through the thousands of loyal subjects then I guess that would make them redundant in this day and age and they can be scrapped safe in the knowledge they are past their sell by date

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I just don't understand why we have to an English "Prince of Wales".
    Poor old Charlie Boy must be the oldest apprentice on the planet.
    I don't think the dutchess of York is from York either.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I don't think the dutchess of York is from York either.
    She must be from the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    If only Henry the 8th had that same attribute

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    One of the arguments of course being that having the Queen prevents the election of a mickey mouse figure as head of state..

I'm not a raving monarchist, but I do think the monarchy is something to be proud of. Generally speaking, constitutional monarchies are pretty good examples of government - think Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Japan, Holland, Canada, Australia, etc. That's not to say that having a president instead isn't a good move, it's just we choose not to. And it brings in the tourists.
    It's not like the Queen throws her weight around or anything.
    I have never been at all convinced that they do bring in tourists, all the numbers around that are extremely ropey.

how many tourists actually see one of the royal family?
    what they come for is the history and OUR palaces, which they would have much better access to if there wasn't a family of freeloaders living in them.
    there are clear comparisons with other European countries in this respect.
    things like the changing of the guard etc tourists come to see, but there's no reason that would have to stop, and if the tourists could actually see inside Buckingham palace afterwards then I'd imagine a fair few more would probably come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have never been at all convinced that they do bring in tourists, all the numbers around that are extremely ropey.

how many tourists actually see one of the royal family?
    what they come for is the history and OUR palaces, which they would have much better access to if there wasn't a family of freeloaders living in them.
    there are clear comparisons with other European countries in this respect.
    things like the changing of the guard etc tourists come to see, but there's no reason that would have to stop, and if the tourists could actually see inside Buckingham palace afterwards then I'd imagine a fair few more would probably come.
    I like that idea 👍

I think having an active royal family, as opposed to an ex royal family does bring in tourists; it makes it a historic as well as contemporary issue. The sheer numbers of global tourists milling around outside Buckingham Palace on any summer day is testament to that. Needless to say, there is no way to assess this and it's a fair point on opening up more buildings, something I do agree with.

I think the main benefit in terms of foreign affairs is the soft power and general respect it brings the country. Although many countries may not want to adopt the model themselves, there is an aura about them which does carry weight abroad. The Queen is one of the few people on earth whom no country would seek to insult and whom the vast majority will have general respect for.

If the Royals had any real power on domestic policy, I would be a raving republican, but they don't, so I'm not. I just don't see the big issue. President Blair? President Teresa May? These are the realistic alternatives and neither are exciting or offer much for me.

The biggest ongoing democratic issue in the UK is not the Royal Family, but the House of Lords

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think having an active royal family, as opposed to an ex royal family does bring in tourists; it makes it a historic as well as contemporary issue. The sheer numbers of global tourists milling around outside Buckingham Palace on any summer day is testament to that. Needless to say, there is no way to assess this and it's a fair point on opening up more buildings, something I do agree with.

I think the main benefit in terms of foreign affairs is the soft power and general respect it brings the country. Although many countries may not want to adopt the model themselves, there is an aura about them which does carry weight abroad. The Queen is one of the few people on earth whom no country would seek to insult and whom the vast majority will have general respect for.

If the Royals had any real power on domestic policy, I would be a raving republican, but they don't, so I'm not. I just don't see the big issue. President Blair? President Teresa May? These are the realistic alternatives and neither are exciting or offer much for me.

The biggest ongoing democratic issue in the UK is not the Royal Family, but the House of Lords
    a president doesn't need to have any actual power, there are plenty of examples where they don't Switzerland or Ireland for example is a ceremonial role.
    in Switzerland they have a new one every year

**** the Royals

I’ll gladly enjoy the long weekend though

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    **** the Royals

I’ll gladly enjoy the long weekend though
    that's the spirit