+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So, is anybody still behind Harris?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: So, is anybody still behind Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The silence of the Harris in lot has spoken volumes these past few weeks.

Even they can't still be backing him.
    I hate these stupid expressions such as Harris in lot. They tend to suggest the club is split into cliques

They are fans who happen to have a different view to you.

The silence of those who do not think Harris should be manager spoke volumes at the end of last season as well.

As I pointed out elsewhere Jimmy Scoular, one of the club legendary managers , had several bad patches in his first few years ( didn't win a league game until October , finished 20thth in his second, had a run in his third where we didn't wind for 12 games got 3 points and were 22nd In early November when we next won. We were never above 19th after that ( and that was just for one week and finished 20th again.

A message board then if it had existed would have gone into meltdown. Scoular would probably not even reached his third season and who knows what would have happened.

It is of course a different world now ( and even then Scoular can be considered lucky not many manager survived two successive 20th positions.

Oh and a lot of the football was dross as well.

I have a lot of sympathy with the view Craig Bellamy expressed that manager needed to be given time but I am afraid that is Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I hate these stupid expressions such as Harris in lot. They tend to suggest the club is split into cliques

They are fans who happen to have a different view to you.

The silence of those who do not think Harris should be manager spoke volumes at the end of last season as well.

As I pointed out elsewhere Jimmy Scoular, one of the club legendary managers , had several bad patches in his first few years ( didn't win a league game until October , finished 20thth in his second, had a run in his third where we didn't wind for 12 games got 3 points and were 22nd In early November when we next won. We were never above 19th after that ( and that was just for one week and finished 20th again.

A message board then if it had existed would have gone into meltdown. Scoular would probably not even reached his third season and who knows what would have happened.

It is of course a different world now ( and even then Scoular can be considered lucky not many manager survived two successive 20th positions.

Oh and a lot of the football was dross as well.

I have a lot of sympathy with the view Craig Bellamy expressed that manager needed to be given time but I am afraid that is Utopia
    Maybe if Scoular has been sacked in the mid-60s we would have got a manager in that could get us promoted. Why is Scoular a legend but Dave Jones is a miserable sod with no plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe if Scoular has been sacked in the mid-60s we would have got a manager in that could get us promoted. Why is Scoular a legend but Dave Jones is a miserable sod with no plan B?
    Yes Maybe. Or maybe we would have been relegated sooner and not had three years in the late 60's early 70's where we challenged for promotion. We may not have reached the European Cup Winners Cup final or had one of the greatest nights in our history when we beat Real Madrid. We shall never know.

When Scoular was a manager there was not the same spotlight on managers. They were not expected to be media savvy. Also of course as I said we had those great nights in Europe under him. That opportunity wasn't there for Dave Jones.

As we can see with all our managers in recent years the media spotlight and the internet expose their flaws Dave Jones didn't always come over as particularly media or fan friendly.

Scoular came across to fans as a tough no nonsense competitor and in his middle years at least the fans respected him greatly Thi is probably why he went on longer than he probably should have.