+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who used to enjoy the aggro?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who used to enjoy the aggro?

My thoughts on the hooliganism in the 70’s and 80’s is that it was carried out by 10% hard as **** bastards, and 90% wannabe hard as **** bastards, who thrived on safety in no’s.
    Scaring old folk and kids was a bit cowardly.
    Id have had more respect and willingness to join in in my youth, if they’d done it the east european way, where they’d meet up in a bit of country side with no fuzz or innocent folk about, and just have a good old fashioned square go.
    Running amok through city centres, scaring innocent folk shitless was never for me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    My thoughts on the hooliganism in the 70’s and 80’s is that it was carried out by 10% hard as **** bastards, and 90% wannabe hard as **** bastards, who thrived on safety in no’s.
    Scaring old folk and kids was a bit cowardly.
    Id have had more respect and willingness to join in in my youth, if they’d done it the east european way, where they’d meet up in a bit of country side with no fuzz or innocent folk about, and just have a good old fashioned square go.
    Running amok through city centres, scaring innocent folk shitless was never for me.
    In the 80’s it wasn’t 10% proper nutters, I’d say it was more like 40%. I knew quite a few of them, some decided to stop going by the 90’s saying it was “over”. The bouncing posturing stuff arrived in the 00’s. Completely different times

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    In the 80’s it wasn’t 10% proper nutters, I’d say it was more like 40%. I knew quite a few of them, some decided to stop going by the 90’s saying it was “over”. The bouncing posturing stuff arrived in the 00’s. Completely different times
    I've not witnessed what I think of as hooliganism at City games for ten years or more, but I did from the mid sixties to, say, the mid to late noughties and I'd say the 10 per cent figure is about right. i accept that, as someone who preferred to steer clear of trouble, I haven't seen as much "agro" as others, but what I did see was, more often than not, more posing, goading and standing off than what I'd call fighting - did hear of a couple of cases of City fans being attacked by our "hard men" in the eighties and early nineties mind.