+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: James Collins - Signing agreed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: James Collins

I'm a bit concerned about the players we've signed/been linked with since Mick came in. The squad's got plenty of "experience", the starting 11 against Rotherham on the final day had 1,298 Championship appearances between them, despite the absences of Morrison & Bennett as well as the inclusion of youngsters

Collins is ok as a backup and one off, but being linked with the likes of Rhodes hardly fills me with confidence

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about the players we've signed/been linked with since Mick came in. The squad's got plenty of "experience", the starting 11 against Rotherham on the final day had 1,298 Championship appearances between them, despite the absences of Morrison & Bennett as well as the inclusion of youngsters

Collins is ok as a backup and one off, but being linked with the likes of Rhodes hardly fills me with confidence
    yep, agreed.
    in itself it makes sense as a signing, but if it sets the trend going forward then I would be concerned

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I think the Rhodes think was out of necessity, as Mick thinks Glatzel is dreadful. Let's see what happens. We have a Kane like problem at Cardiff, we're signing a backup to Moore. If we signed a young striker, they'd cost millions. Ashley Fletcher is probably the best one on a free but he's hardly prolific and is injury prone.

Let's see how the window pans out but this is a good signing in isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think the Rhodes think was out of necessity, as Mick thinks Glatzel is dreadful. Let's see what happens. We have a Kane like problem at Cardiff, we're signing a backup to Moore. If we signed a young striker, they'd cost millions. Ashley Fletcher is probably the best one on a free but he's hardly prolific and is injury prone.

Let's see how the window pans out but this is a good signing in isolation.
    Would happily welcome Fletcher at Cardiff, but as you stated he is injury prone and Cardiff don't need another Vassell.

The advantage with Collins in the short term is that Cardiff would gain a seasoned professional who in the last 4 seasons for Luton Town has had no trouble finding the net. Looking at his two seasons in the Championship for a non prolific Luton Town he is responsible for a 1/4 of their goals.

Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.

Mike McGrath reporting it is a 2 year deal. He's pretty reliable. I think that's pretty good. Proven goalscorer and if it goes wrong, we're not lumbered with him for years and years.
    That leaves us with

Moore
    Collins
    Glatzel
    Harris
    Watters
    Vassell

You'd have thought at least 2 of those will need to be moved on

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That leaves us with

Moore
    Collins
    Glatzel
    Harris
    Watters
    Vassell

You'd have thought at least 2 of those will need to be moved on
    Glatzel will go back to Germany and Mick's said he's not against loaning Harris out (who has just signed a 2 year deal). I think they'll loan out Watters and nobody in their right mind is going to take Vassell off us. Let's just hope the bloke can end his horrible luck with injuries.

Seems like a reasonable signing all in all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Seems like a reasonable signing all in all.
    Agreed. He's only here to take the pressure off Moore, which Glatzel couldn't. If he's the main man then it's a different story.

this signing makes sense. who else should we have got?

This is what I posted earlier:

"Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction."

I was dreading it being a 3 year deal! It's possible that our striking options looks as follows next year:

1. Moore
    2. Harris
    3. Collins
    4. Vassell
    (Watters and Glatzel out on loan.)

That looks so much better than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This is what I posted earlier:

"Collins on a 2 year deal looks like a smart move but Collins on a 4 year suggests we're going in the wrong direction."

I was dreading it being a 3 year deal! It's possible that our striking options looks as follows next year:

1. Moore
    2. Harris
    3. Collins
    4. Vassell
    (Watters and Glatzel out on loan.)

That looks so much better than this year.
    Vassell

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Vassell
    Would like to see us find room for him in the teamIN ADDITION TO MOORE.
    This would provideMoore with the support he really needs.