Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
Oh , I didn't realise its was a gimmick thought it was to kick-start the hospitality sector, best we get back to slumber and watch the economy die . For some with no pensions to sit back on it hurts, a lot of younger people rely on jobs in what you refer to as the cheap gimmick , and yes peoples disciplines deliver the risks , the cheap deal meal was just that food to kick-start the restaurant industry and was welcomed by all parties, it was ill disciplined drinkers , house parties , crowded streets outside pubs that did this . Even now you have Northern mayors moaning about curfews, you can't win?

Perhaps the Mayor's of Manchester and Liverpool who are now saying this is awful , should have exercised better controls in thier cities .
Your desperation to defend a party you say you don't vote for is very strange. The point is that, as soon as the priority became local, rather than national, management of outbreaks, local politicians and health professionals became better equipped to respond because they were closer to the action so to speak. However, the obsession of this Government, and especially the rule breaker I referred to in my earlier post, to centralise everything takes priority every time to the detriment of the country, apart from it seems, some Cabinet members constituencies with higher infection rates than some under local lockdown measures.
As for the gimmick, it was typical of the UK Government's throughout the summer as they tried to run before they could walk - there were plenty in the scientific world who said at the time that we were coming out of lockdown measures too quickly, but, just as in America, money started to be more important than people when it comes to the virus in the UK months ago.