+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I did hear him try to claim credit for introducing a pass which enables a seventy seven year old to spend hours keeping warm on a bus because she can’t afford to heat her home didn’t I?
    Is free bus travel not a good thing? Whats your solution to Elsies problems?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Buses I use get have the bloody windows open because of Welsh Gov Covid advise , best Elsie stays in England on their warmer buses .

We have four 80 plus year olds in the street and having chatted with them as I like to help them with their bins / gardens stuff etc they do find the costs have gone up but by being a bit canny with radiators valves and temperatures, and not heating rooms they don't use much , sadly as they age , they are manging I've shown one or two of them what to do with the timer etc and they have been grateful, plucky lot I must say and impressively independent , one said I remember a time when heating was in one room, not a radiator in very room with instant hot water .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Buses I use get have the bloody windows open because of Welsh Gov Covid advise , best Elsie stays in England on their warmer buses .

We have four 80 plus year olds in the street and having chatted with them as I like to help them with their bins / gardens stuff etc they do find the costs have gone up but by being a bit canny with radiators valves and temperatures, and not heating rooms they don't use much , sadly as they age , they are manging I've shown one or two of them what to do with the timer etc and they have been grateful, plucky lot I must say and impressively independent , one said I remember a time when heating was in one room, not a radiator in very room with instant hot water .
    Presumably, that 80 year old also remembers a time when she could afford to heat her entire house.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Presumably, that 80 year old also remembers a time when she could afford to heat her entire house.
    No they could not afford it as the country was in real poverty , folk would live and sleep in one or two rooms ,
    and like it or not its a lot better now where you can get radiators in rooms and double glazing , inside toilets, cars etc etc .

Like it or not we have moved on as a society

and it wasn't Boris's fault

No they could not afford it as the country was in real poverty , folk would live and sleep in one or two rooms ,
    and like it or not its a lot better now where you can get radiators in rooms and double glazing , inside toilets, cars etc etc .

Like it or not we have moved on as a society

and it wasn't Boris's fault
    She's 80. You're saying at no point in her life she has been able to heat her whole house, or at least can't remember it. But then go on to say times have changed, we've moved on; which presumably means she should be able to?

So I'm confused by this.

I'll be less subtle with my point. When she was young, she couldn't heat her whole house. At some point in her adult life (I would imagine) she was able to. Now she's not able to.

For her, things are going backwards.

It doesn't have to be Boris's fault, but it is his job to fix it.

Lets hope all 80 year olds that are struggling can reach our to friends, family and neighbours, its interesting how the UK compares to our European neighbours when it comes to care , they don't all see the responsibility of every issue as the governments .

About time we heard for that alleged “bigoted woman” Gillian Duffy she must be in her 80's one of life hero's .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-bigoted-woman

Politicians hey ,wonder what they really think of us ??

Lets hope all 80 year olds that are struggling can reach our to friends, family and neighbours, its interesting how the UK compares to our European neighbours when it comes to care , they don't all see the responsibility of every issue as the governments .

About time we heard for that alleged “bigoted woman” Gillian Duffy she must be in her 80's one of life hero's .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-bigoted-woman

Politicians hey ,wonder what they really think of us ??
    Of all the people for LOM to bring up

You can work out her current age from the article. Have a go and let us know the answer.

So pensioners in poverty who are struggling (or failing) to pay for fuel and food should rely on help from friends, family and neighbours - not the state (the means by which society collectively supports its members in need)?

That is the essence of Toryism.

Small state, individualism, 'there is no such thing as society' and 'deserving poor' supported by the discretionary charity of the better off - leaving them constantly insecure and vulnerable.

No thanks!

The 'bloody windows' are open on English buses too.

Turns out good ventilation is sensible in all parts of the UK.

The point in the interview, don't know whether you saw it, is that this woman has to resort to riding on a bus because she cannot afford to stay in her home during the day.

It says in the interview that her monthly energy bills went from £17 to £84. It is also pointed out in the interview that energy companies are making billions of profits, so perhaps they could take smaller profits to help people out. Additionally, in the interview, a windfall tax is suggested - this is when companies who have experienced an unexpected bonus of profits can let the country share in the good fortune.

The point in the interview, don't know whether you saw it, is that this woman has to resort to riding on a bus because she cannot afford to stay in her home during the day.

It says in the interview that her monthly energy bills went from £17 to £84. It is also pointed out in the interview that energy companies are making billions of profits, so perhaps they could take smaller profits to help people out. Additionally, in the interview, a windfall tax is suggested - this is when companies who have experienced an unexpected bonus of profits can let the country share in the good fortune.
    Does she? We will take this at face value. It seems a peculiar and dramatic set of circumstances. One that is handy to some for political reasons. £17 a month is also VERY VERY cheap for someone who presumably uses a lot of energy (such that it is now unaffordable) Energy bills have gone up but that is a 500% increase. I cannot think of a set of circumstances where a bill would increase so much, can you?

I don't doubt she is struggling and needs help - my point is, has she been to her council? Who are her council? Her energy provider etc. Has she spoken to citizens advice etc?

The lady needs help, that isn't in doubt, but it strikes me she is being used for political gain somewhat.

Does she? We will take this at face value. It seems a peculiar and dramatic set of circumstances. One that is handy to some for political reasons. £17 a month is also VERY VERY cheap for someone who presumably uses a lot of energy (such that it is now unaffordable) Energy bills have gone up but that is a 500% increase. I cannot think of a set of circumstances where a bill would increase so much, can you?

I don't doubt she is struggling and needs help - my point is, has she been to her council? Who are her council? Her energy provider etc. Has she spoken to citizens advice etc?

The lady needs help, that isn't in doubt, but it strikes me she is being used for political gain somewhat.

Yeah, she's definitely the bad one.

Yeah, she's definitely the bad one.
    It's about finding a solution. I dont think you or others want to help her. I think you want to use her for your political benefit.

The energy cap recently went up 50%. That's a serious rise. But her bills (from £17 to £85) have gone up 500%. Ten times the rate. That doesn't strike you as odd?

It's about finding a solution. I dont think you or others want to help her. I think you want to use her for your political benefit.

The energy cap recently went up 50%. That's a serious rise. But her bills (from £17 to £85) have gone up 500%. Ten times the rate. That doesn't strike you as odd?
    I'm using her for my political benefit?

Who do you think I am? Don't worry, I'm not getting going to be getting any political benefit from this conversation.

I don't know why her bill went up so much. But this is one of Britain's highest profile journalists on the second leading TV channel doing an extended live interview with the PM and I would expect them to fact check their questions because of journalistic integrity. I'm afraid I'm not going to fact check it myself as I've no idea who Elsie is, so until we hear otherwise let's "take this at face value" (as you said about Elsie 20 minutes ago).

I'm using her for my political benefit?

Who do you think I am? Don't worry, I'm not getting going to be getting any political benefit from this conversation.

I don't know why her bill went up so much. But this is one of Britain's highest profile journalists on the second leading TV channel doing an extended live interview with the PM and I would expect them to fact check their questions because of journalistic integrity. I'm afraid I'm not going to fact check it myself as I've no idea who Elsie is, so until we hear otherwise let's "take this at face value" (as you said about Elsie 20 minutes ago).
    I think that might be part of the issue here...

Ah, so when Johnson was coming up with his scheme he was thinking of all of those old ladies who can’t afford to heat their houses was he?

Ah, so when Johnson was coming up with his scheme he was thinking of all of those old ladies who can’t afford to heat their houses was he?
    Well when providing free bus travel for the elderly, yes it was probably aimed at older people on lower incomes, yes.

Who do you think it was aimed at? Young footballers?

Well when providing free bus travel for the elderly, yes it was probably aimed at older people on lower incomes, yes.

Who do you think it was aimed at? Young footballers?
    No, I think it is ludicrous for a Prime Minister facing the question he was asked to try and claim credit for a situation which should never happen in the twenty first century in what is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world. The argument isn’t whether free buses are a good thing or not, it’s whether they should ever be used in the manner that poor lady is using them.

No, I think it is ludicrous for a Prime Minuster facing the question he was asked to try and claim credit for a situation which should never happen in the twenty first century in what is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world. The argument isn’t whether free buses are a good thing or not, it’s whether they should ever be used in the manner that poor lady is using them.
    I think it's actually worth noting, because if there weren't free buses then she wouldnt be riding them.

Nonetheless, I agree, it shouldnt be happening. The question is why, and how do we solve it.

I'll repeat what I asked lardy:

The energy price cap went up 50%. Her bills went up 500%. Ten times the rate. Now if she came to you for help, would you throw your hands in the air and blame the Prime Minister, or would you try and find out the reason for a rise that is ten times above what it should be?

I think it's actually worth noting, because if there weren't free buses then she wouldnt be riding them.

Nonetheless, I agree, it shouldnt be happening. The question is why, and how do we solve it.

I'll repeat what I asked lardy:

The energy price cap went up 50%. Her bills went up 500%. Ten times the rate. Now if she came to you for help, would you throw your hands in the air and blame the Prime Minister, or would you try and find out the reason for a rise that is ten times above what it should be?
    I’ve not blamed Johnson for the rise in energy costs, all I’ve done in this thread is express my incredulity that his first instinct is to claim credit for a free bus scheme when asked a question like that. Typically, Johnson’s first instinct was to think of himself and produce a crass reply that had nothing to do with the point at issue. Furthermore, when put in an awkward position, it’s all about self preservation, not party considerations - he introduced the scheme, not the Conservative party, the man is not fit to run a bath, let alone this country.

I’ve not blamed Johnson for the rise in energy costs, all I’ve done in this thread is express my incredulity that his first instinct is to claim credit for a free bus scheme when asked a question like that. Typically, Johnson’s first instinct was to think of himself and produce a crass reply that had nothing to do with the point at issue. Furthermore, when put in an awkward position, it’s all about self preservation, not party considerations - he introduced the scheme, not the Conservative party, the man is not fit to run a bath, let alone this country.
    It's a fair criticism. The bloke is unquestionably egotistical.