Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
There’s so much a could say in reply to this, but I can’t be bothered, so I’ll just make a couple of comments. First I gave the thread that title because there’s a thread on this page talking about Labour’s hammering at Hartlepool - I used “hammering” for no other reason than that. Second, if you really think the six hundred or whatever the figure is a true reflection of the size of Labour’s support in the constituency then I believe you are deluding yourself. I know what I would have done as a regular Labour voter if I lived in Chesham and Amersham, I would have put that to one side and voted for the party which stood the best chance of keeping the Tory out - I’m not saying that the Labour support would be huge in that constituency, but, clearly lots of of people chose to do that and the Lib Dem majority was enhanced because of it.
The Hartlepool bi election springs to mind where the Labour vote fell off a cliff.

Just because you vote tactically doesn't mean everyone does or will. There are many more points I could make but I can't be bothered either. The fact you have not replied to my response to your contention that I brushed the Tory defeat under the carpet is noted.

Your analysis of what is happening in Southern England is way off the mark in my opinion. In Cornwall and Devon for example the Liberals always have a strong presence in the farming communities and marginally less so the Tories but every single constituency in the South West voted Tory. It might be different next time around as the fishing communities feel short changed by the Brexit deal. What I can say is that Labour are nowhere in these areas. Tactical voting could work but I can't imagine the Labour Party standing aside as they will receive such few votes it wouldn't make any difference. All seats in the South West will be a straight fight between the Liberals and Tories. Possibly your alliance might work in Southern England but I doubt it.