+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As someone who has supported my club for over 60 years it goes against the grain to lay criticism at the door of a side that has gone on a tremendous run of form lately, yet our passing is so poor and almost universal, that I actually wonder if it is a bad as we're seeing it, or is MM telling our players - especially the back 3 - to just kick it anywhere so long as it goes upfield.
    I can't imagine a scenario where passing to a colleague could be counter-productive, but then I'm not privy to the grand plan..
    That's exactly how I think, how can it possibly benefit any side to "pass" the ball like we did for most of yesterday's game - it's akin to telling your strikers to just smash the ball as hard as they can when they get a shooting chance!

The commentator on the feed I watched yesterday's match on said during the game that Neil Warnock had been saying that Johnny Howson is the best midfield player he's worked with as a manager. Now, Howson is a good player, who has spent all of his long career playing in the top two divisions with a fair bit of it in the Premier League, but when a manager who has taken charge of around 1.500 games with plenty of experience of taking charge of matches in the Premier League and Championship singles him out as the best he's worked with in his position, you really have to wonder what Warnock looks for in a central midfielder and I would suggest that the ability to pass the ball accurately to a team mate ranks fairly low on his list of priorities.

I honestly don't get the thinking at City when it comes to what I've always thought was a very important part of the game - Warnock said that he only signed Will Vaulks because Marlon Pack wasn't available and then when Pack became available, he barely gave Vaulks a look in - this suggests that he thinks Pack and Vaulks are similar type players, but are they really? I don't see it myself.

I've often found myself wondering the same as you - are our players told not to place too much emphasis on passing the ball accurately and just concentrate on knocking it into particular areas instead (not sure ten rows back into the stand running the length of the pitch would qualify as one of them, but, based on yesterday, perhaps it might!)?

Re: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The commentator on the feed I watched yesterday's match on said during the game that Neil Warnock had been saying that Johnny Howson is the best midfield player he's worked with as a manager.
    Neil Warnock also said that Sol Bamba's a better defender than Virgil van Dijk.

Neil Warnock regularly talks about players, referees, supporters, etc, being either the best or the worst he's ever seen during his career, depending on where he is at that particular point in time.

Basically, Neil Warnock talks a lot. And talks a lot of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Neil Warnock regularly talks about players, referees, supporters, etc, being either the best or the worst he's ever seen during his career, depending on where he is at that particular point in time.

That last line sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Exactly and it's all for the greater good of Neil Warnock