+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism allegation - The Athletic

Racism allegation - The Athletic

The Football Association is investigating after a child alleged that he had been subjected to bullying and discriminatory abuse in Cardiff City’s academy.

The Athletic can reveal that a young footballer, aged below 14, has alleged that instances of racism took place on a minibus while travelling to an away match. The child has told an FA investigation that his own team-mates are the alleged perpetrators. The young boy himself gave evidence to the FA investigators over a Zoom call.

The child, who is no longer training with the academy after becoming unhappy in the environment, is of Middle Eastern heritage. He told FA investigators that he heard monkey noises and that team-mates also rubbed bananas into his clothes. The FA investigators also heard alleged that staff failed to respond in a satisfactory manner and clamp down on the abuse. Indeed, it is claimed the alleged victim was told to get on with it and clean it up himself by a staff member who first heard the complaint at the time. The young player and his family are being supported by the anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out.

The player has currently dropped out of the club’s academy and returned to grassroots football, although he does sometimes train at satellite facilities owned by the club.

In a statement to The Athletic on Wednesday evening, a Cardiff City director said: “We can confirm that we are aware a complaint has been made to the FA regarding an alleged instance of racist behaviour and bullying between children whom were enrolled in the Club’s academy.”

The club confirmed that the allegations date back to events in 2018 but argue that the claims around racism have only surfaced in recent months. The club say they were aware of complaints about the player’s treatment in their academy but insist that “no staff or coaches were involved.”

Following the player’s initial complaints, the director says that the club’s academy and education department “thoroughly investigated the matter at the time.” The Cardiff director added: “A meeting was convened with all the players from the group and their parents/guardians at which point the Club’s code of practice and standards were reiterated. This was followed by an educational presentation.”

Now, however, the child and his guardians have escalated the complaint by reporting allegations of racism, as well the aforementioned alleged bullying, to the FA.

There is also understood to be a dispute between the player’s family and the club over his right to register at a different club after leaving Cardiff. In accordance with Football League regulations, Cardiff are alleged to be insisting on compensation payments for any players who leave in his youth age group to sign for different clubs. The guardians in question believe Cardiff should waive the right to compensation as the club is alleged to have failed to provide a safe environment for their child.

The Cardiff director continued: “No complaint of discrimination was raised by the player or his guardians at the time. The complaint has been made by the player’s guardians to the FA nearly three years after the event and following a meeting with the club at which the club confirmed it would agree to release the player and that it would not relinquish its entitlement to training compensation should the player wish to join another club.”

Cardiff say they are prepared to “engage” with any club who wishes to sign the player but also claim the player’s guardians said previously that they did not wish to re-enter elite football until the player turns 16.

The Cardiff academy has been beset by issues in recent years. A Cardiff statement in March revealed the club had launched “a comprehensive investigation into non-recent allegations of bullying and poor practice relating to the club’s academy”. This step preceded the allegations of racism that can now be reported.

In March, the Daily Mail newspaper reported that the club’s academy manager James McCarthy had been one of those suspended as the club confirmed two staff members had been stood down while the internal process was carried out. The club’s safeguarding officer Rob Cronick, a former detective chief inspector with South Wales Police, is tasked with conducting a second investigation, over which the FA and EFL retain a level of oversight. This is separate to the FA’s investigation into the allegations of racism.

Cardiff’s academy had previously been criticised when former Wales captain and Liverpool forward Craig Bellamy stepped down from his position as their under-18s coach in January 2019. The club had investigated a bullying claim against Bellamy and others. Bellamy denied the allegations made against him. The club’s investigation flagged “a number of significant concerns” and concluded that academy players faced an “unacceptable coaching environment” at the club. The club’s findings did not name individual staff members in its conclusions.

The FA is unable to officially comment on the details while an investigation is ongoing.

Re: Racism allegation - The Athletic

****ing hell this club is becoming dodgy…

First their reaction to My City, My Shirt, then this! And to a kid as well!

The **** is going on in the academy? Disgraceful

Oh dear - this seems to hark back to the Bellamy era.
    Still, this bit is interesting....
    "The complaint has been made by the player’s guardians to the FA nearly three years after the event and following a meeting with the club at which the club confirmed it would agree to release the player and that it would not relinquish its entitlement to training compensation should the player wish to join another club.
    In other words, they're trying to secure a better deal by trashing the club. As if it's not been trashed enough already.

So they changed their complaint from bullying to discrimination 3 years later. Bit weird.

Undoubtedly been some issues down there though, are other clubs swamped by as many bullying allegations within their academies? Don't see why it would be an issue just here.

The FA is unable to officially comment on the details while an investigation is ongoing.
    Probably best to take a lead from the English FA on this one. However, there will be people who will have read the headline and won't read any follow up so club has to re-double its efforts to show having the environment it should have.

You cannot stop kids being stupid if it is adults, usually their parents who have taught them how to be so .

If we assume this has happened the key is the clubs response to it

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

the what? whats this about?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    the what? whats this about?
    A black cardiff city fan painted various murals in South Cardiff of Black cardiff city fans , wanted the club involved , they said it was reverse racism .

Total shit houses

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A black cardiff city fan painted various murals in South Cardiff of Black cardiff city fans , wanted the club involved , they said it was reverse racism .

Total shit houses
    In fairness, i did feel misrepresented when i saw the art work, what with me being a white working class bloke and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In fairness, i did feel misrepresented when i saw the art work, what with me being a white working class bloke and all that.
    Bloody blacks , coming over here , taking our shirts

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

So you are automatically assuming that its all true then. Funny that - I got the totally opposite view from reading the OP, where it appears to me the club acted quickly and properly at the time the incident took place. Assuming that the story actually happened as described of course. It wouldn't be the first time that a media outlet had concocted a story to make its own headlines. There appear to be people with agendas against the club involved here.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Oh dear - this seems to hark back to the Bellamy era.
    Still, this bit is interesting....
    "The complaint has been made by the player’s guardians to the FA nearly three years after the event and following a meeting with the club at which the club confirmed it would agree to release the player and that it would not relinquish its entitlement to training compensation should the player wish to join another club.
    In other words, they're trying to secure a better deal by trashing the club. As if it's not been trashed enough already.
    First thing that popped into my head was maybe tapped up.
    Although it seems the academy did have issues under Bellamy also.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So you are automatically assuming that its all true then. Funny that - I got the totally opposite view from reading the OP, where it appears to me the club acted quickly and properly at the time the incident took place. Assuming that the story actually happened as described of course. It wouldn't be the first time that a media outlet had concocted a story to make its own headlines. There appear to be people with agendas against the club involved here.
    And you are automatically assuming it’s all false. The hypocrisy in your post is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    The Football Association is investigating after a child alleged that he had been subjected to bullying and discriminatory abuse in Cardiff City’s academy.

The Athletic can reveal that a young footballer, aged below 14, has alleged that instances of racism took place on a minibus while travelling to an away match. The child has told an FA investigation that his own team-mates are the alleged perpetrators. The young boy himself gave evidence to the FA investigators over a Zoom call.

The child, who is no longer training with the academy after becoming unhappy in the environment, is of Middle Eastern heritage. He told FA investigators that he heard monkey noises and that team-mates also rubbed bananas into his clothes. The FA investigators also heard alleged that staff failed to respond in a satisfactory manner and clamp down on the abuse. Indeed, it is claimed the alleged victim was told to get on with it and clean it up himself by a staff member who first heard the complaint at the time. The young player and his family are being supported by the anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out.

The player has currently dropped out of the club’s academy and returned to grassroots football, although he does sometimes train at satellite facilities owned by the club.

In a statement to The Athletic on Wednesday evening, a Cardiff City director said: “We can confirm that we are aware a complaint has been made to the FA regarding an alleged instance of racist behaviour and bullying between children whom were enrolled in the Club’s academy.”

The club confirmed that the allegations date back to events in 2018 but argue that the claims around racism have only surfaced in recent months. The club say they were aware of complaints about the player’s treatment in their academy but insist that “no staff or coaches were involved.”

Following the player’s initial complaints, the director says that the club’s academy and education department “thoroughly investigated the matter at the time.” The Cardiff director added: “A meeting was convened with all the players from the group and their parents/guardians at which point the Club’s code of practice and standards were reiterated. This was followed by an educational presentation.”

Now, however, the child and his guardians have escalated the complaint by reporting allegations of racism, as well the aforementioned alleged bullying, to the FA.

There is also understood to be a dispute between the player’s family and the club over his right to register at a different club after leaving Cardiff. In accordance with Football League regulations, Cardiff are alleged to be insisting on compensation payments for any players who leave in his youth age group to sign for different clubs. The guardians in question believe Cardiff should waive the right to compensation as the club is alleged to have failed to provide a safe environment for their child.

The Cardiff director continued: “No complaint of discrimination was raised by the player or his guardians at the time. The complaint has been made by the player’s guardians to the FA nearly three years after the event and following a meeting with the club at which the club confirmed it would agree to release the player and that it would not relinquish its entitlement to training compensation should the player wish to join another club.”

Cardiff say they are prepared to “engage” with any club who wishes to sign the player but also claim the player’s guardians said previously that they did not wish to re-enter elite football until the player turns 16.

The Cardiff academy has been beset by issues in recent years. A Cardiff statement in March revealed the club had launched “a comprehensive investigation into non-recent allegations of bullying and poor practice relating to the club’s academy”. This step preceded the allegations of racism that can now be reported.

In March, the Daily Mail newspaper reported that the club’s academy manager James McCarthy had been one of those suspended as the club confirmed two staff members had been stood down while the internal process was carried out. The club’s safeguarding officer Rob Cronick, a former detective chief inspector with South Wales Police, is tasked with conducting a second investigation, over which the FA and EFL retain a level of oversight. This is separate to the FA’s investigation into the allegations of racism.

Cardiff’s academy had previously been criticised when former Wales captain and Liverpool forward Craig Bellamy stepped down from his position as their under-18s coach in January 2019. The club had investigated a bullying claim against Bellamy and others. Bellamy denied the allegations made against him. The club’s investigation flagged “a number of significant concerns” and concluded that academy players faced an “unacceptable coaching environment” at the club. The club’s findings did not name individual staff members in its conclusions.

Why did it take three years to come to light?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    The **** is going on in the academy? Disgraceful
    My thoughts exactly. How is this investigation still going ahead? Major changes are needed and should have happened a long, long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Why did it take three years to come to light?
    Abuse is often hidden for years until those affected talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Abuse is often hidden for years until those affected talk about it
    Ok.

How very sad that something so traumatic should fester for so long :-(

When is the club report announced in March going to be completed I wonder - is the fact it’s taking some time a sign of the club taking the allegations seriously or does it indicate we’ll end up with a fudge after a long delay?

Appalling

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When is the club report announced in March going to be completed I wonder - is the fact it’s taking some time a sign of the club taking the allegations seriously or does it indicate we’ll end up with a fudge after a long delay?
    dml is on it, apparently it's going to be like the Chilcott report, although in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    dml is on it, apparently it's going to be like the Chilcott report, although in reverse.

Kids in the ten to eleven age range can be as cruel as any group you come across and I can recall how some of my schoolmates lives were turned into a living hell around that age because they were the ones selected by the "influencers" to be picked on. So, I reckon it's definitely possible that the banana throwing incident happened, but, surely, if it did so on a mini bus, there would have been adult supervision taking place?

I'm not going to go into detail, but the decision by the club to place some individuals who worked in the Academy on gardening leave in March did not come as a shock at all given what I had heard over the preceding year or two. I have been a constant critic of the club when it comes to producing our own first team players in recent years, but, the more you hear about our Academy since Neil Ardley left, the more you have to marvel at someone like Mark Harris who is in the first team squad despite having come through our system.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Knowing how stupid teenagers can be, I still find this hard to believe. Young players are all creeds and cultures these days, a few white boys giving out some grief on a bus with 4 adults in it too? The club should be embracing the cultures of south Cardiff on its doorstep but it seems like it rarely does……

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Knowing how stupid teenagers can be, I still find this hard to believe. Young players are all creeds and cultures these days, a few white boys giving out some grief on a bus with 4 adults in it too? The club should be embracing the cultures of south Cardiff on its doorstep but it seems like it rarely does……
    When my son was 9 a few kids in his class kept telling him to go and wash his black off. This was a pretty good school which had a decent ethnic mix of students.

As it transpired, you will NOT be surprised, the kids involved were just picking up this kind of stuff from their parents. Whom, let me say, I had words with.

The school dealt with it really well.

The point is that sometimes, even in an environment which has all creeds and colours, you will get some racist little shits who are really just invoking the prejudices of their parents. I imagine some of the kids at the City academy will be the same.... coming from some home environments that normalise this kind of racist behaviour.

The issue here is HOW the club did or didn't react to the situation.

If as claimed, the staff ignored the racist abuse and forced the lad to clean up the bananas that were smeared into his stuff, then that is appalling and the club have been negligent in their duty of care to the children in the academy.

Of course what the club should have done:

1) called in the parent of the victim and informed them of the incidents
    2) with the parents the club should have informed the police
    3) the police should have cautioned the children involved and informed their families
    4) the club should have provided the victim with support from the youth counsellor and informed his parents
    5) the club should have kicked out the perpetrators out of the academy
    6) the police and or the club should have informed the perpetrators school of the incident and ensure that the school need to address issues of racism in their school programmes
    7) held meetings with the rest of the academy kids and academy kids parents and informed them what had happened and that this behaviour is wholly unacceptable and that

Honestly though if the club DIDN'T do this then they need to strengthen their code of conduct and systems at the club. But also embedding a culture of non bullying. I do this for a living and would be happy to help them out, because it seems the club haven't got it right at all.

But let's wait and see what the investigation finds.