+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joey Barton

Re: Joey Barton

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    i
    As I said, in the face of facts it is possible that the goalposts will be moved.

Leathering

International

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    As I said, in the face of facts it is possible that the goalposts will be moved.

Are you suggesting that black people in whatever profession should have management or boardroom positions in proportion to their numbers in the said industry, regardless of their ability? That percentages are more important than ability?
    To me that sounds like a recipe for failure.
    Some people think positive discrimination , ensuring that for example the police force represents the local community , to be a good thing

I think a lot of the people who object to this are hiding something 🤔

Or, to put it another way, do you think that the lack of black people in the positions of Chairmen, CEOs or CFOs at the top 100 companies in the UK is because black people are incapable of doing the job?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Some people think positive discrimination , ensuring that for example the police force represents the local community , to be a good thing

I think a lot of the people who object to this are hiding something ��
    There is always the excuse by people that "people should be picked on merit" which is what this chap basically said before moving the goalposts. That is absolutely correct. People should be picked on merit. And, if you were looking at one or two companies and seeing a wholly white boardroom, it would be a case of "nothing to see here, it's only two companies". But, 100 companies? 200 football clubs? It's not positive discrimination to see black people in boardrooms or dugouts. It is, surely, to be expected when roughly 20% of the UK population is non-white, that roughly 20% of the boardrooms are also non-white.

Or, am I missing something here? I mean, thinking about it, more than 20% of cleaning staff are non-white. I guess that is ok though, because who wants to be a cleaner, right?

But none of that translates to your statement that Barton only got the job because he is white. How many black people applied for it ffs?
    Ok, i'll put it another way. He wouldn't have got the job if he was black, which means he's white. Is that better?

In footballing terms I've never bought into the idea that club owners/board members are racist and that is the reason that black managers do not get jobs.

Football squads are a complete mix of all sorts of players these days with all sorts of backgrounds. There are a large percentage of black players in the Premier League for example. Would the squads not be largely white at these clubs with so called racist owners?
    Or do they suddenly start clamping down on black men getting managerial positions only?

Do I think clubs are turning down better qualified black men due to the colour of their skin alone? No. It doesn't make sense to employ black players and then show your racist side when a manager is considered.
    I honestly think it is down to managerial ability. How many ex black pros go into management even?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    In footballing terms I've never bought into the idea that club owners/board members are racist and that is the reason that black managers do not get jobs.

Football squads are a complete mix of all sorts of players these days with all sorts of backgrounds. There are a large percentage of black players in the Premier League for example. Would the squads not be largely white at these clubs with so called racist owners?
    Or do they suddenly start clamping down on black men getting managerial positions only?

Do I think clubs are turning down better qualified black men due to the colour of their skin alone? No. It doesn't make sense to employ black players and then show your racist side when a manager is considered.
    I honestly think it is down to managerial ability. How many ex black pros go into management even?
    How many ex pro black footballers get the chance to go into management ?

You would have thought that given the large number of black players , as you say , in modern football that a fair few would want to go into management ?

If we assume that a black footballer thinks , breathes and behaves in the same way as his white team mates .......which is of course true .......then a similar percentage of black players would have ideas of management as white players ?

So if that's the case somethings going on

The days of football club owners not employing black players we would hope is in the past but black ex players as managers ?

Its just not happening

Mark Hughes , Steve Bruce , Pulis , Warnock , Steve Coppell , David Moyes , managerial merry-go-round

There are even more black players in the game now

What's happening ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    There is always the excuse by people that "people should be picked on merit" which is what this chap basically said before moving the goalposts. That is absolutely correct. People should be picked on merit. And, if you were looking at one or two companies and seeing a wholly white boardroom, it would be a case of "nothing to see here, it's only two companies". But, 100 companies? 200 football clubs? It's not positive discrimination to see black people in boardrooms or dugouts. It is, surely, to be expected when roughly 20% of the UK population is non-white, that roughly 20% of the boardrooms are also non-white.

Or, am I missing something here? I mean, thinking about it, more than 20% of cleaning staff are non-white. I guess that is ok though, because who wants to be a cleaner, right?
    The excuse that black footballers are not interested in management is simply untrue

It is what it is , an excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I don't know who the countless others are but there's a difference between being a top player and being world class.
    Off the top of my head...Bobby Moore, Franco Baresi, Beckenbauer, Cannevaro, Gentile, Dessailly were all world class as was John Charles though I never saw him play.
    Sol Campbell was a top player but to put him in the same league as those players is laughable.
    They are all legendary players, among the best of all time.

World class means among the best of their peers. It's fair to say Campbell was, but he's not legendary.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Ok, i'll put it another way. He wouldn't have got the job if he was black, which means he's white. Is that better?
    That, Tuerto is a completely different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Sol Campbell was a good player, probably one of the best in this country at for a time.
    In world terms, I'm not so sure.

IMHO, to be considered world class, you'd have to have something to show for it.

He never won the Champions League, won nothing at international level (tho he did make team of the tournament a couple of times) but I don't remember him ever being nominated for the Balon d'or.

If you listen to him speaking mind you, he was the GOAT, such an air of superiority, right up there with Garth Crooks

Re the OP, bloke's an arsehole.
    Amongst other things the guy won 2 Premier Leagues (including the unbeaten season), 3 FA Cups, got to the Champions League Final (and scored) and was in the team of the tournament at the 2002 World Cup and the 2004 Euro's. I don't know what his personality's like but to say he wasn't world class is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Amongst other things the guy won 2 Premier Leagues (including the unbeaten season), 3 FA Cups, got to the Champions League Final (and scored) and was in the team of the tournament at the 2002 World Cup and the 2004 Euro's. I don't know what his personality's like but to say he wasn't world class is ridiculous
    I'd already qualified the domestic honours you list along with team of the tournament "a couple of times".

You could have just said "I disagree"

Coincidentally he (Campbell) was on Talksport earlier today bitching and whinging about being given an opportunity. Complaining about the opportunities he had had. When the presenter asked why doesn’t he go abroad like others ie Robbie Fowler, David James he got quite flustered.

Basically the guy is deluded. He’s just expecting to be given a premier league or championship job.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Coincidentally he (Campbell) was on Talksport earlier today bitching and whinging about being given an opportunity. Complaining about the opportunities he had had. When the presenter asked why doesn’t he go abroad like others ie Robbie Fowler, David James he got quite flustered.

Basically the guy is deluded. He’s just expecting to be given a premier league or championship job.
    I think you're right about him being delusional. When he was supposedly running for London Mayor for the Conservatives and for Rifkind's 'safe' seat of Kensington (?) in 2015 (?) he'd bigged himself up after having 'talks' with Grant Schapps. Seems Sol was the only one thinking he had a chance of either post.

He's not come across well whenever I've heard him - pompous and a poor communicator which are likely to be the real reasons why he isn't going to walk into a top job. I've heard he's had quite a few offers in lower leagues but wouldn't take them - allegedly.

As for him being a World Class player. Undoubtedly in my view. I got to see him play quite a bit at Highbury when I was living and working in London.

As for Mr Barton, well, I'm always willing to wait and see what the courts say as the press can't be relied upon for accurately reporting on any footballers. Having said that, if it turns out to be accurate and he's done what he's supposed to have done - then he needs to go. I think he's got some real mental health issues that need sorting out. A few years ago a read an interview in The Big Issue and he alluded to a few personal things. He really did come across well back then and it seemed he was in 'a good place' but things have certainly soured since then.

I'd already qualified the domestic honours you list along with team of the tournament "a couple of times".

You could have just said "I disagree"
    Yes but then you would have missed out on the intellectual and sporting lesson I've just given you

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yes but then you would have missed out on the intellectual and sporting lesson I've just given you
    Haha. Hardly, you just elaborated on what I had already said by googling a few facts.
    Intellectual and sporting lesson

The guy was good domestically defo not world class.

End of

Haha. Hardly, you just elaborated on what I had already said by googling a few facts.

End of
    Hmmm.. He was some player for about 4 years. Although his personality stinks, and his politics in my opinion.

End of
    I can see you're intimidated. It's understandable. Best to walk away.

Yeah right.

I'm intimidated (on a messageboard ) having just caught you with your pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Hmmm.. He was some player for about 4 years. Although his personality stinks, and his politics in my opinion.
    As I've said, he did a decent defensive job, domestically, in a very very good side.

Yeah right.

I'm intimidated (on a messageboard ) having just caught you with your pants down.

I think that he's joking

Yeah right.

You're terrified, everybody can see it.

As I've said, he did a decent job, domestically, in a very very good side.
    Fair enough.