+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rip Mike Hendrick

Rip Mike Hendrick

At the riskof upsetting Dembethewarrior, another death to report

Cricket fans will be sad to hear that the former Derbyshire and England fast bowler Mike Hendrick has passed away at the age of 72

Re: Rip Mike Hendrick

Great bowler. I grew up in the 70’s watching him constantly beat the batsmen with a delivery but so rarely getting a nick to the keeper or slips. Very under-rated.

Saw this earlier. A reunion of some great players from my childhood, just 10 days before he died.

https://twitter.com/TheCaulfieldWay/...548442115?s=19

Yes I saw that photo. Some great childhood memories. Botham has put on some weight

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes I saw that photo. Some great childhood memories. Botham has put on some weight
    You could say he looks quite beefy

Remember Mike Hendrick on my telly quite a bit during the seventies.

RIP.

Sad news to hear of Mike’s passing. I think he had the record for most test matches played by a bowler who failed to take five wickets in an innings, which fails to show what an excellent bowler he was.
    What a lovely picture that is further up the thread. I can’t put a name to the chap on the far left. Can someone put me out of my misery please? Right to left Boycott, Embury, Randall, Miller, Taylor, Hendrick , Botham, ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Sad news to hear of Mike’s passing. I think he had the record for most test matches played by a bowler who failed to take five wickets in an innings, which fails to show what an excellent bowler he was.
    What a lovely picture that is further up the thread. I can’t put a name to the chap on the far left. Can someone put me out of my misery please? Right to left Boycott, Embury, Randall, Miller, Taylor, Hendrick , Botham, ?
    Jon Lever

Mike Hendrick must have tore his hair out at times, because he’d bowl over after over where you could cover where the ball pitched with a handkerchief and then Botham would come on, bowl a half tracker and take a wicket - it was little wonder the cricketing Lord was known as golden bollocks in the England dressing room for a while in the late seventies! In saying that, even back then, I thought Hendrick suffered because he had a worse case of that quick bowler’s dislike of being driven to the boundary than most, whereas Botham was prepared to experiment and gained his reward by pitching the ball up that bit further.

Although they were both still great bowlers, Anderson and Broad were quite like Hendrick in that they’d often be criticised for being that little bit short of a length in helpful conditions - in recent years though, they’ve changed their natural length a little and, I believe, they’re better bowlers for it.

None of this is to belittle Mike Hendrick, he was a fine bowler, but maybe he could have been a better one with a little adjustment to his action. Also, I remember Hendrick on TMS, he came over well and seemed to talk a lot of sense - it was no surprise that he became a respected coach.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Should start walking again

You're alright pal, you've not upset me.

I just looked up "I don't understand these types of posts" in the dictionary and it isn't described as upsetting.

Here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Jon Lever
    Thanks. Now you've said it it's obvious but I was struggling. If should have got it from the pint in his left hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Thanks. Now you've said it it's obvious but I was struggling. If should have got it from the pint in his left hand!
    Ha ha - good spot

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You're alright pal, you've not upset me.

I just looked up "I don't understand these types of posts" in the dictionary and it isn't described as upsetting.

Here to help.
    I was speaking rhetorically.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I was speaking rhetorically.
    No you weren't, you was hoping for a reaction 👍

No you weren't, you was hoping for a reaction ��
    What is it with some of you on here thinking you know what is in my mind

TOBW has done this several times in the last few months First calling me a staunch royalist, then an anti republican and racism apologist all with no evidence. He did apologise but in the case of his racism apologist canard pretty grudgingly and he still hinted I was being economical with la verite.

When I say I was speaking rhetorically I was.

Or are you accusing me of terminological inexactitude?

RIP Bluebird.

TOBW has done this several times in the last few months First calling me a staunch royalist, then an anti republican and racism apologist all with no evidence. He did apologise but in the case of his racism apologist canard pretty grudgingly and he still hinted I was being economical with la verite.

The second one.

Why can't some of you old fellas live a little

How on earth did that find its way into a thread you started about the death of cricketer from around fifty years ago?

The main reason I gave those apologies was because I thought they would bring an end to a political disagreement with someone I've grown to have respect and affection for over the years on here. However, I'm pretty certain that this is not the first time you've resurrected the subject when it suits you in conversations on here in which I'm nothing more than an innocent bystander, so those apologies appear to have been a bit of a waste of time don't they.

First Team

I liked Hendrick as he was an honest medium fast bowler who bent his back for the team.
    He was never the sort to blast teams out but , to my eye, he did a good job in softening up the batsmen for the next bowler on.
    Highly regarded on the county circuit and became a much respected and admired coach.
    A good one lost.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    How on earth did that find its way into a thread you started about the death of cricketer from around fifty years ago?

The main reason I gave those apologies was because I thought they would bring an end to a political disagreement with someone I've grown to have respect and affection for over the years on here. However, I'm pretty certain that this is not the first time you've resurrected the subject when it suits you in conversations on here in which I'm nothing more than an innocent bystander, so those apologies appear to have been a bit of a waste of time don't they.
    Don't worry, he'll start a thread about people taking threads off topic soon.

Oh wait, that's only when other people dare to do it on one of his threads.

Don't worry, he'll start a thread about people taking threads off topic soon.

Oh wait, that's only when other people dare to do it on one of his threads.
    Oh do belt up there's a good lad.

I've not said anything that's not factual 👍

No need for the aggressiveness because I've pointed something out.

Threads get deleted for that round here.

I've not said anything that's not factual ��

No need for the aggressiveness because I've pointed something out.

Threads get deleted for that round here.
    I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave a few moments ago