+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am afraid that as the vast majority of roman catholics look to the Vatican and the pope for how they should behave ......which is very odd ......the actions of partisans , small in number against the fascists , is not really good enough to convince me that a lot of religious people are incredibly stupid and need to be treated like kids
    Not all Catholic people look to the pope, not all of them agree with everything that is said by him or written in the Bible, or said by the priest etc. It doesn't really work like that. There will always be hard liners, but I'd say that the vast majority aren't that interested in what the pope has to say, especially those in more developed cultures.
    In my opinion, your view is very narrow and you're pandering to the reactionary by lumping everyone who has faith into the same category. Big mistake in my opinion. Would you say that all poor people are just lazy, people who suffer with mental health are weak etc? Of course you wouldn't, as that would be generalising, which almost certainly panders to the most extreme amongst us, and as a result, ends In people being persecuted because of a certain belief etc

During WW2 the catholic church and priests bravely helped highlight and advocate against the Nazi's Kinder-Euthanasie policy - a policy that was essentially killing disabled children. However, the Catholic 'church' (as an institution) didn't extend that same love or bravery towards the Jews in Germany who were being shipped of to concentration camps - despite being told and informed by their some of their own Priests.

In fact the biggest issue the Catholic Church had with the Nazis was that the Nazis wanted to stop resources being sent to the Catholic church. Incidentally, the Catholic church helped many Nazis flee to south America and other places immediately after the war to escape prosecution.

However we have to separate the 'church' and people. There are many many Catholics and priests who opposed the Nazis and lost their lives for it. In particular the Jesuits. But the Catholic church as an 'institution' and huge numbers of followers went along with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not all Catholic people look to the pope, not all of them agree with everything that is said by him or written in the Bible, or said by the priest etc. It doesn't really work like that. There will always be hard liners, but I'd say that the vast majority aren't that interested in what the pope has to say, especially those in more developed cultures.
    In my opinion, your view is very narrow and you're pandering to the reactionary by lumping everyone who has faith into the same category. Big mistake in my opinion. Would you say that all poor people are just lazy, people who suffer with mental health are weak etc? Of course you wouldn't, as that would be generalising, which almost certainly panders to the most extreme amongst us, and as a result, ends In people being persecuted because of a certain belief etc
    Yes it does , that's how these bodies survive . Money and people indoctrination others .

The vast majority of roman catholics look towards the Vatican and the pope for guidance as he is their spiritual leader on earth

They don't practice what they preach but the catholic church is against homosexuality , sex before marriage and abortion .

I am afraid either you are hiding a secret religious leaning or you are not facing reality

The comparison with mental ill health is of course nonsense

People are not taught to be mentally ill , or go every Sunday to a place that helps them to be mentally ill

Mental illness happens

To compare saying something like pull yourself together to a mentally ill person to the fact that roman catholics are brainwashed is ludicrous

Why would I say that mentally ill people are weak or the poor are lazy in the same way that religious people are brainwashed ?

Mentally ill people are ill , poor people are poor

Anybody who goes to church on a Sunday and has a priest read to them the latest directive from his holiness the pope is brainwashed .

We sing cardiff city are the greatest team in football the world has ever seen ......but we don't believe it , its clearly nonsense

I think defending the right for someone to believe in God is up to the individual , if you want to do that then carry on but I am saying religious people are indoctrinated , especially roman catholics and if someone is defending the right of someone to believe in a bloke sitting on a cloud then its 2021 and there are people still waiting for evidence he exists , never mind having people like you tell me I can't generalise about people who are clearly devoted to something that clearly doesn't seem to be there .

First Team

Would you say that all poor people are just lazy, people who suffer with mental health are weak etc? Of course you wouldn't, as that would be generalising, which almost certainly panders to the most extreme amongst us, and as a result, ends In people being persecuted because of a certain belief etc
    Some poor people are lazy, some are not. Some rich people are lazy, some are not.

ALL those "with religious faith" are deluded. They are also dangerous. I give you Afghanistan and the Taliban...

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Some poor people are lazy, some are not. Some rich people are lazy, some are not.

ALL those "with religious faith" are deluded. They are also dangerous. I give you Afghanistan and the Taliban...
    Heck, this is going way too far.

First Team

Heck, this is going way too far.
    Forgive me.

(Credit to Bill Hicks.)

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Forgive me.

(Credit to Bill Hicks.)
    Ah, get it now