+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Parks Football

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Parks Football

I think that a change in roles for both men and women -From a financial and working point of view-has put paid to sport within a community. Shared childcare, The local pub not having any real relevance within a community, where most football teams were played out of. Working patterns changing, young men not going into 'traditional' working environments, because they don't exist anymore, Huge debt and mortgages etc. Basically, the breakdown in traditional communities due to the eradication of manufacturing and heavy industry (sometimes well paid) which offered saturday afternoons off. People have to work more now to pay for the minute box that they call home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that a change in roles for both men and women -From a financial and working point of view-has put paid to sport within a community. Shared childcare, The local pub not having any real relevance within a community, where most football teams were played out of. Working patterns changing, young men not going into 'traditional' working environments, because they don't exist anymore, Huge debt and mortgages etc. Basically, the breakdown in traditional communities due to the eradication of manufacturing and heavy industry (sometimes well paid) which offered saturday afternoons off. People have to work more now to pay for the minute box that they call home.
    I mentioned pub & club teams but forgot about teams that were formed in workplaces as well, Wiggins Teape, Rover (Pengam), British Ropes, Guest Keen, Spillers etc, all a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I mentioned pub & club teams but forgot about teams that were formed in workplaces as well, Wiggins Teape, Rover (Pengam), British Ropes, Guest Keen, Spillers etc, all a thing of the past.
    I scored against British Ropes -just off Western Ave- in about 1970. Superb pitch, enclosed. Goal was even better though..

I only played two half seasons in the Cardiff Leagues during that time, One the last few games for Gwaelod-Y-Garth in the District after I had a bad ankle injury and another for Rumney Rangers in the Combination. I preferred playing to watching as I always thought I could watch after my playing days were over.

These days I get upset if someone robs me of a paragraph!