+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sam Bowen to Newport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Sam Bowen to Newport

Mick McCarthy basically said that Bowen was not versatile enough in that he appeared happy to stay in a sitting midfield position and was not stretching himself when he first came to the club, hence his use in a right wing back or more advanced midfield role in some of his first team appearances.

Statistically, the most dominant performance the City produced bar none last season was at home to Reading where we had twenty seven goal attempts to two and somehow ended up losing 1-0. Sam Bowen, playing an advanced midfield role, was as good as anyone in a blue shirt in that match and who knows what would have happened after that if he'd not got injured. My suspicion is though that things would have probably turned out just the same as they have done as long as Steve Morison was in charge as he clearly doesn't rate the player.

Perhaps Bowen's "attitude problem" (in the unlikely event that he had one) was down to the knowledge that, no matter what he did, he was going to get nowhere at the club under this manager - certainly, Bowen's performances for the Under 23 side once he'd come back from his injury looked like those of someone who knew he had no chance of selection in the senior side.

I'm surprised and disappointed Steve Morison didn't recognise Bowen's ability, but there'll always be players who become surplus to requirements when a new manager takes over and this could turn out to be a very good move for Sam if can show why some of us have a lot of faith in him - it's the best thing he could have done in his position. and I wish him well for the future

Re: Sam Bowen to Newport

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mick McCarthy basically said that Bowen was not versatile enough in that he appeared happy to stay in a sitting midfield position and was not stretching himself when he first came to the club, hence his use in a right wing back or more advanced midfield role in some of his first team appearances.

Statistically, the most dominant performance the City produced bar none last season was at home to Reading where we had twenty seven goal attempts to two and somehow ended up losing 1-0. Sam Bowen, playing an advanced midfield role, was as good as anyone in a blue shirt in that match and who knows what would have happened after that if he'd not got injured. My suspicion is though that things would have probably turned out just the same as they have done as long as Steve Morison was in charge as he clearly doesn't rate the player.

Perhaps Bowen's "attitude problem" (in the unlikely event that he had one) was down to the knowledge that, no matter what he did, he was going to get nowhere at the club under this manager - certainly, Bowen's performances for the Under 23 side once he'd come back from his injury looked like those of someone who knew he had no chance of selection in the senior side.

I'm surprised and disappointed Steve Morison didn't recognise Bowen's ability, but there'll always be players who become surplus to requirements when a new manager takes over and this could turn out to be a very good move for Sam if can show why some of us have a lot of faith in him - it's the best thing he could have done in his position. and I wish him well for the future
    Yep he has gone to a manger who knows him well so he obviously doesn't feel there is too much of an attitude problem!

Bowen will do really well at Newport I'm sure. However it is league 2 I suppose and sometimes a step back can help kick things on and it's certainly needed as his career is going nowhere at Cardiff. Good luck to him!