+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Get Paterson back in Saturday.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Get Paterson back in Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The last couple of times ive seen Paterson play for Scotland he was playing as a striker.
    That’s because he hasn’t played right back since leaving Hearts! Warnock finished him as a right back saying he can’t defend despite playing their for years! I would have thought Harris would have given him a try at right back but perhaps he thinks the same as Warnock? Bacona also played at right back for Villa in the Premier League so if we don’t get another right back surely we should put one of them there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    That’s because he hasn’t played right back since leaving Hearts! Warnock finished him as a right back saying he can’t defend despite playing their for years! I would have thought Harris would have given him a try at right back but perhaps he thinks the same as Warnock? Bacona also played at right back for Villa in the Premier League so if we don’t get another right back surely we should put one of them there?

I think he started three games at full back for, maybe two. But as stated above Warnock's comments at the time didn't help. If he did get games at rb he wouldn't be short of commitment and would probably be better at defending and more physical than Osei-Tutu and Bacuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    It is truly unbelievable that we keep hearing about our lack of strength in depth at right back and yet someone who has played in that position for his country is barely even thought of as a possibility for the position seemingly because a former manager of ours decided he could not play there two years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is truly unbelievable that we keep hearing about our lack of strength in depth at right back and yet someone who has played in that position for his country is barely even thought of as a possibility for the position seemingly because a former manager of ours decided he could not play there two years ago!
    Scotland are shit.

What attributes does Paterson have that would make him a decent option at right back for us?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Scotland are shit.

What attributes does Paterson have that would make him a decent option at right back for us?
    strong, good in the air, mobile enough, has played almost 100 times I that position and contributed goals and assists

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    strong, good in the air, mobile enough, has played almost 100 times I that position and contributed goals and assists
    dont scotland play a back 5 when he has played.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He good in the air as a long-ball target man. He's no Sean Morrisson though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    which of our fullbacks have ever been that good in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Paterson doesn't hold the ball up well enough as a target man.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Paterson doesn't hold the ball up well enough as a target man.
    No. He's utterly useless with his flick ons as well, despite being very good in the air and winning more than his fair share.

He's a bit of a loose cannon as a striker in that he's so unpredictable that he's difficult to defend against. He can unsettle defenders, I also think he's a good finisher as his volley against Derby proves.