+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Clough.

Re: Brian Clough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He was obsessed with loyalty. Didn't Taylor take the managerial job that clough was sacked from-isn't that why they fell out?
    That’s not how it plays out in the film Damned United but I think they were a little bit creative with the truth in that film. As was Dean Saunders in that story he tells about Brian Clough by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That’s not how it plays out in the film Damned United but I think they were a little bit creative with the truth in that film. As was Dean Saunders in that story he tells about Brian Clough by all accounts.
    They fell out again after the period where the Damned Utd ended.

Think Taylor wanted to retire so left Forest then months later joined Derby I think.

Dean Saunders tried to sound funny and tell a funny Clough story. Most people though think his story is exaggerated to the extreme or complete bollox.

There are two different stories surrounding Clough's career-ending injury. In Len Ashurst's autobiography, Uncle Len says that it was his long ball pass that Clough was running onto, when he tangled with the opposition keeper. Ashurst claims that Clough always blamed him for the accident, but in Clough's book, he says different.
    According to Clough, it was Jimmy McNab who punted it forward, not Ashurst, but he does acknowledge that there was some bad blood between them. Guess we'll never know the truth.
    Both books are good reads, if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nice story, not many people can say that they played against derek tapscott. Old pro's are like lions playing with their cubs when it comes to playing against eager youngsters. They'll let you get away with a bit, but don't get to confident or try taking the piss as you'll get a paw to the head, pretty much like you did!
    In the two seasons I spent at Newport I also played against the great Ivor Allchurch when he was at the end of his career with Haverfordwest. He didn't run very far (or fast!) and generally stayed in or near the centre circle spraying passes around at will.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Forest winning the European Cup........proper.......back to back was an incredible achievement

What a side
    All knockout games back then wasn’t it? No group stuff? If you lost one you are out.....

Forest won their first European Cup in a season when Liverpool were league Champions, so both sides were in the following season's European Cup and when then drawn against each other in the First Round - imagine that happening now when the rules are geared to make sure the biggest teams are still there in the Champions League's closing stages.

Forest beat Liverpool 2-0 at the City Ground in the First Leg and then got a 0-0 in the game at Anfield. One of the biggest markers of how good Forest were in the late seventies into 1980 was how they tended to get the better of a great Liverpool side when they played them.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    In the two seasons I spent at Newport I also played against the great Ivor Allchurch when he was at the end of his career with Haverfordwest. He didn't run very far (or fast!) and generally stayed in or near the centre circle spraying passes around at will.

Was that the same will that British soldiers used to take aim at ?