+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 0 BIRMINGHAM CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That goal today was a team goal. One of the best I've seen us score in years. That was a really good team performance today in very difficult conditions. We were unlucky not to get more goals and on another day, they would have been gone in.

Thought both sides should have been given penalties but I'm liking the way the refs are letting the game flow this season and adding time on properly for wasting it so not that fussed.

I'm in the Watters camp tbh and thought he had as good as a game as any striker could have without netting one. I've said before he's a young lad who's more used to non-league football than any of our other squad members (I think) and to that end, if Morison sticks with him and turns him into the player I think is there, then I'll personally build a shrine to our manager.

There was some good football played out there today and I agree with Bob, his post match was spot on and I too now think, he's more nervous than his swagger lets on. Something I can identify with and I find more human.

Edit: players make mistakes, we all do. I think it's unfair for us to single out Watters or Etete. Sometimes, it appears to be the harder thing to do, but there it is. I've made loads of mistakes today but luckily nobody was watching me.
    That is all very laudable but if you kept making repeated mistakes in your job, that were seriously affecting the performance of your team, your boss would not let it continue.

You’d get extra training, or something would be done. Or you could even get fired.

That is the comparison that you should be making not ‘I made a mistake today by accidentally turning two pages of the newspaper instead of one but no one noticed’

🙄

We all want Watters and Davies to succeed but management is paid to make decisions about people who are capable or not of doing their job. (thankfully mine is WAY easier than being a Championship striker!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is all very laudable but if you kept making repeated mistakes in your job, that were seriously affecting the performance of your team, your boss would not let it continue.

You’d get extra training, or something would be done. Or you could even get fired.

That is the comparison that you should be making not ‘I made a mistake today by accidentally turning two pages of the newspaper instead of one but no one noticed’

��

We all want Watters and Davies to succeed but management is paid to make decisions about people who are capable or not of doing their job. (thankfully mine is WAY easier than being a Championship striker!)
    We could do these metaphors for weeks BD!

It's league game 3. We've won 2 out of 3. Everybody out there makes a mistake in a game, it's the sum of all the parts. One minute we say "give them time" or "they're a new team" or "I'll be happy if we avoid relegation" or, or, etc. etc.

You can't say management are paid to make these decisions and then have a go at the players all the time. I think Morison did the right thing by starting him yesterday (I'd have played him against Portsmouth on Tuesday night) and one of my criticism's last season was that our manager never knew his starting 11. Do we right off Etete for his, arguably, a worse miss yesterday? No. If it keeps happening then have a go at the manager not the player. There was a team out there yesterday. It was another good win at home and there were plenty of chances which was even better than against Norwich. Morison and the lads deserve a lot of credit for what they gave us yesterday in, as I said, horrible conditions to play a game of football.

If we keep playing like this at home, and picking up points, then teams won't want to play here. That's a far cry from last season. Then, we can hopefully start picking up some points away from home in what should be the harder fixtures.

We have to stop focusing on individuals and look at the team and management as a whole. They did good yesterday. Very good.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 14-08-22 at 07:43. Reason: Heat

It's league game 3. We've won 2 out of 3. Everybody out there makes a mistake in a game, it's the sum of all the parts. One minute we say "give them time" or "they're a new team" or "I'll be happy if we avoid relegation" or, or, etc. etc.

You can't say management are paid to make these decisions and then have a go at the players all the time. I think Morison did the right thing by starting him yesterday (I'd have played him against Portsmouth on Tuesday night) and one of my criticism's last season was that our manager never knew his starting 11. Do we right off Etete for his, arguably, a worse miss yesterday? No. If it keeps happening then have a go at the manager not the player. There was a team out there yesterday. It was another good win at home and there were plenty of chances which was even better than against Norwich. Morison and the lads deserve a lot of credit for what they gave us yesterday in, as I said, horrible conditions to play a game of football.

If we keep playing like this at home, and picking up points, then teams won't want to play here. That's a far cry from last season. Then, we can hopefully start picking up some points away from home in what should be the harder fixtures.

We have to stop focusing on individuals and look at the team and management as a whole. They did good yesterday. Very good.
    I agree, however, and I suspect that this is true for many of us who have suffered watching Cardiff City over the years, it doesn’t take long to spot a player who is not up to it. I’m no football manager (other than kids football!) but for example, I could tell after 5 minutes of watching Gary Madine, or Richard Langley that they simply weren’t good enough, and then I spent the rest of their time at Cardiff City praying and actually expecting them to do something good! I could provide countless more examples done the years, rather sadly.

And then I think: ‘What did people who know far more about football than me, see in them?!’

At the moment Watters and Harris fall into that category as did James Collins (not the Ginger Monster)

I really, really hope that I’m wrong on this one.

Watters had the ball at his feet with plenty of time and he ****ed it up. Etete headed off target from a cross, albeit a perfectly weighted one. Watters miss was far worse in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Watters had the ball at his feet with plenty of time and he ****ed it up. Etete headed off target from a cross, albeit a perfectly weighted one. Watters miss was far worse in my opinion.
    the xG that I've seen would tend to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the xG that I've seen would tend to agree with you.
    Are you serious? Do you actually watch games or just look at bizarre opinion-based stats sites afterwards?