+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Fully behind them but I suppose opens up the debate of where the line is.

People that messaged Conor Roberts directly to jump off a bridge is totally unacceptable but is it acceptable to directly say they played rubbish? What about in open discussion on Twitter?

Fans want to interact with players that they pay a lot of money to watch each week and then you got Gary Neville criticising that someone’s remotely managing their accounts.

It’s a tricky situation and I certainly wouldn’t like to deal with the abuse that footballers do

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Fully behind them but I suppose opens up the debate of where the line is.

People that messaged Conor Roberts directly to jump off a bridge is totally unacceptable but is it acceptable to directly say they played rubbish? What about in open discussion on Twitter?

Fans want to interact with players that they pay a lot of money to watch each week and then you got Gary Neville criticising that someone’s remotely managing their accounts.

It’s a tricky situation and I certainly wouldn’t like to deal with the abuse that footballers do
    Are they fans or just racist bots from all over the world. Anyone can set up as many Twitter accounts that they want. Probably the same accounts randomly racially attacking anyone in the public eye that’s not white.

Think there is a difference between saying a player played rubbish and saying a player is sh*t or competing to see who can have the most hyperbolic negative reaction to a player's name (pre-game) and performance (post-game) with the latter more about seeking attention rather than just wanting interaction with players. Arguably, even the latter could be just about acceptable but really it is not if it includes trying to ensure the player can see the comments.

Conversation typically moves onto social media requiring identification so perhaps time to share this thread: https://twitter.com/MariCLewis/statu...24230692192264

Twitter should treat racism like copyright abuses. They get on that v quickly. They have the capacity.

Making marginalized people who rely on anonymity pay for racists using the cloak of anonymity knowing this website doesn’t punish racism is just further oppression. **** that.

I tweet this as I’m disappointed in my local supporters group, who seem to “get” Liverpool only to a certain point — we need to realize that the framed enemies here (anonymous racists) are allowed to act not bc they’re anonymous but because Twitter doesn’t care about racism.

I cannot emphasize enough that racist bullies will always exist, but right now they also exist as verified accounts. Those accounts embolden others. These are two related problems.

Also my local Liverpool group have a lot of care rn when it’s Liverpool supporters online being racist but have had nothing to say across a week of big, big racism stories in, say, La Liga. Y’all don’t care about racism, you care about the optics of the club & can **** off xoxo

People who use anonymity to exist and speak matter in conversations I have everyday (!) and their well-being matters (!!); creating an online environment where trans people, as an important example, can’t safely exist isnt “progressive” or anti-racist, you idiots; also, stop.