+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Racism and Homophobia announcement - Was it us?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Racism and Homophobia announcement - Was it us?

Apparently the chant in question was "Reading is a shithole, I want to go home.
    This is from a post online, from a father whose son was detained. If this is the future we may as well give up now.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Apparently the chant in question was "Reading is a shithole, I want to go home.
    This is from a post online, from a father whose son was detained. If this is the future we may as well give up now.
    I know, we have to go to places like stoke, Swansea, Luton, Barnsley, Blackburn and boro just to name a few who must hear this every week

The racist chanting thing is interesting because a lot of the chants Cardiff fans use, and that are used against them, are racist, but they’re wheeled out every week and common place. At what point do you decide they’re no longer acceptable and for what reason? ‘Same old English, always cheating’ is racist. Is anyone taking offence to it though? Probably not. Swing Low is not a racist song, but is used against Welsh sides in a racist way. The Washington Redskins is a racially insensitive name too. Where do you draw the line though?
    Scott Johnson's (Walesonline writer) take on matter: https://twitter.com/roathboy

This does give us a chance to review the songs we are singing and update songbook if any are inappropriate. At the moment some of our favourite responses to away fans singing about England (and that's becoming more rare) is to sing about football hooliganism or how England fecked up the World Cup - the latter being a different kettle of fish but considering they have a great chance of winning the Euros it may come back to bite us - and one of the loudest songs this season has been about child abuse. It would not be a bad thing to start singing pro-Cardiff City songs or pro-Welsh songs instead, or even abusive songs which don't make light of such personal and damaging things such as child abuse.

I've seen some posts in this thread highlighting that Cardiff is largely a city without a racism problem which may be true in comparison to some others, but I also remember the twitter feed highlighting racism in Welsh football when our away fans were banned from Hungary, which itself was about a month after two boys got attacked in South Wales and told to go home in a matter unrelated to football. The English media's starting position for their recent game marred by racism was to deny there was any issue at home and that's simply inaccurate, especially given that the majority were able to "factor in" Boris Johnson's racist statements and still vote Tory plus how media have traditionally reported on Raheem Sterling etc. We all still have steps to take to stand against racism.

If it does turn out to be typical anti-English stuff then maybe it can spark a wider conversation about xenophobic attitudes across borders within the UK? Members of the UK government jeer anytime an SNP MP suggests conversation about independence and Tories consistently vote against increasing presence of Welsh language but Cardiff City fans singing songs is picked up instead? And if a hasty announcement on the Reading tannoy is the start of a conversation about Brexit was partly built on fear of Scotland having louder voice in UK (and therefore UK as it is today is based on established xenophobia) then all power to the biscuit-men,