+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Drakeford pulled no punches then

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's not wrong in saying that in the UK and most of Europe that England's approach is the exception rather than the norm though is he?

Also not wrong in saying that Boris Johnson is politically paralysed, he'd struggle to get any new restrictions past his own backbenchers.

24 NHS Trusts in England have now declared a critical incident, I think he got asked a (slightly leading) question and answered it pretty accurately to be honest
    It's a fair point on the 'political paralysis' but nonetheless it's an attack, whereas he could just say that England are doing what they think is best and we are doing what we think is best. He politicised the answer...although I suppose thats what politicians do, but it just feels like constant points scoring and I genuinely dont think that comes from England as much, although they certainly should be criticised in other respects.

I am not privy to all current restrictions across Europe but I don't think Englands approach is particularly an outlier. The restrictions are less severe than many countries I am sure, but I dont think they are alone, and there are numerous restrictions in place even if it is more liberal than Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's a fair point on the 'political paralysis' but nonetheless it's an attack, whereas he could just say that England are doing what they think is best and we are doing what we think is best. He politicised the answer...although I suppose thats what politicians do, but it just feels like constant points scoring and I genuinely dont think that comes from England as much, although they certainly should be criticised in other respects.

I am not privy to all current restrictions across Europe but I don't think Englands approach is particularly an outlier. The restrictions are less severe than many countries I am sure, but I dont think they are alone, and there are numerous restrictions in place even if it is more liberal than Wales.
    It’s hard not to politicise the answer when the question is why isn’t Wales doing the same as England I would have thought.

He is the First Minister, any answer he gives is political by default.

I travelled through Spain, France, England and Wales during December and England was by far the most lax in terms of Covid measures.

England was also the only place that required a test to enter. I guess they have to exercise the fact they have their borders back or something.

Boris Johnson is a populist along the lines of Bolsonaro or Orban when it comes to the pandemic.

Drakeford's policies have been comparable to those in the rest of Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I travelled through Spain, France, England and Wales during December and England was by far the most lax in terms of Covid measures.
    What are the vaccine take-up figures in the countries you mentioned, any idea? It's not a rhetorical question, I don't know the answer, but I was under the impression that the UK was well-placed in that respect by comparison to most of the rest of Europe.