Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Non-religious - 52%
    Anglican - 12%
    Catholic - 7%
    Other Christian - 19%
    Other - 9%
    Does anyone on here actively practice religion or even consider themselves religious?

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

The last census showed 32% as non-religious (including not stated), so that's quite a jump.

I'm part of the 52% as you asked.

52% becoming a very popular percentage in the UK these days.

I'm in this one - but not the other!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    52% becoming a very popular percentage in the UK these days.

I'm in this one - but not the other!
    Ha well spotted. I think this 52% is going to grow and grow and I'm not touching the B subject with a barge pole!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ha well spotted. I think this 52% is going to grow and grow and I'm not touching the B subject with a barge pole!
    I think that’s likely given the survey I believe showed that around 70% of 16-29 year olds stated they have no religion.

I come from a catholic family, as does my wife, it's still very prevelant within my family and extended family although i don't believe in god and refused to get married in a church. I let my wife have her way in getting the kids baptised and all of the other sacraments and a catholic school etc, although if it had been up to me, it wouldn't have happened. I find that having religious debates with family members descends into argument and upset, so we don't do it, i respect their beliefs and i'm pretty sure that they get some form of comfort from them. That's good enough for me.

Religion is all about gullibility. Beleivers simply take on the religion of their parents all around the world. Indoctrinating a child is any religion's best hope of keeping adherents.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Religion is all about gullibility. Beleivers simply take on the religion of their parents all around the world. Indoctrinating a child is any religion's best hope of keeping adherents.
    In my experience that isn't all true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In my experience that isn't all true.
    It's generally true. How many Shintoists are there in Chile and how many Sikhs are there in Angola?

It's generally true. How many Shintoists are there in Chile and how many Sikhs are there in Angola?
    That school of thought could be directed towards culture in general, although what are the components of culture? The way i see it is that religion can be many things to many people, at any given moment in their life. I know that my experiences are rather narrow (in a westernised society) although i don't believe that all people who have religion are puerile with their beliefs and that they do question what they believe in and do move away from it at times. That's certainly my experiences.

I do wonder without the increase in Muslims and Polish Catholics, how low it would be

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Does anyone on here actively practice religion or even consider themselves religious?

Certainly.
    We are indeed in a worrying place in terms of the spiritual health of the nation, but it's not for the first time.
    The thing is, you see, that you cannot be a spiritual vacuum and if you're not filled with the right spirit you'll be filled with the wrong one, and I think this explains a lot of the problems we face in society today.

The Romans thought they'd ended Christianity,didn't they?

Religious indoctrination is the one that everybody likes to associate with gullibility, and it makes people feel quite clever that they could see through it, but the state actively sought to end the influence of established religion. There are plenty of other areas of indoctrination where people have very little awareness of it's existence. Basically, everything is a sociopolitical construct which is implanted inside your brain, and none of it is real.

This is an extension of "subjective reality", except that in your version the individual doesn't just perceive the world in his own way, but a way which is suggested by some third party or outside entity.

Well, you see the problem with that, don't you ? If "reality" isn't just perception ,but a common perception from an outside entity, then you're actually back in a full circle to objective reality, and consequently objective morality since you have acknowledged the existence of this superior entity which defines reality and morality and, therefore , somewhat proved at least the possibility of God.

I prefer Thomas Aquinas' proofs, but in fairness he did it deliberately.

I think you've created your very own philosophy here, which we might call "objective subjectivity". I don't think it really works, but it's an interesting idea. Here's the thing though - if none of its true anyway, why do you prefer one version to another ?

I take the view that there is such a thing as the objective truth,and that all the rest is either a lie or a mistake.

I also take the view that examining philosophy too closely is at the best of times the road to the mad house, but if these people here are correct about you and I being the same person arguing and conversing with each other , we have a serious mental illness.

That's by the by, but here's my proof in this question. A number of people here have versions of the truth regarding whether you and I are one in the same - I have mine, you have yours, and they have theirs. However , one version is not only true, but by virtue of that disproves your suggestion that all versions are lies !

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    This is an extension of "subjective reality", except that in your version the individual doesn't just perceive the world in his own way, but a way which is suggested by some third party or outside entity.

Well, you see the problem with that, don't you ? If "reality" isn't just perception ,but a common perception from an outside entity, then you're actually back in a full circle to objective reality, and consequently objective morality since you have acknowledged the existence of this superior entity which defines reality and morality and, therefore , somewhat proved at least the possibility of God.

I prefer Thomas Aquinas' proofs, but in fairness he did it deliberately.

I think you've created your very own philosophy here, which we might call "objective subjectivity". I don't think it really works, but it's an interesting idea. Here's the thing though - if none of its true anyway, why do you prefer one version to another ?

I take the view that there is such a thing as the objective truth,and that all the rest is either a lie or a mistake.

I also take the view that examining philosophy too closely is at the best of times the road to the mad house, but if these people here are correct about you and I being the same person arguing and conversing with each other , we have a serious mental illness.

That's by the by, but here's my proof in this question. A number of people here have versions of the truth regarding whether you and I are one in the same - I have mine, you have yours, and they have theirs. However , one version is not only true, but by virtue of that disproves your suggestion that all versions are lies !
    Interested to hear what Wales-Bales' truth is.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Interested to hear what Wales-Bales' truth is.
    In answer to the question, I consider myself Christian and attend church every week. It works for me. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I would have said it’s more than that these days....

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Religious indoctrination is the one that everybody likes to associate with gullibility, and it makes people feel quite clever that they could see through it, but the state actively sought to end the influence of established religion. There are plenty of other areas of indoctrination where people have very little awareness of it's existence. Basically, everything is a sociopolitical construct which is implanted inside your brain, and none of it is real.
    I’d actually suggest religious privilege towards Christian groups is still widespread in the UK.

Hate religion. Love religious architecture.

I used to try and tell people why god doesn’t exists. Now I’m just happy to let people be.

Certainly.
    We are indeed in a worrying place in terms of the spiritual health of the nation, but it's not for the first time.
    The thing is, you see, that you cannot be a spiritual vacuum and if you're not filled with the right spirit you'll be filled with the wrong one, and I think this explains a lot of the problems we face in society today.

The Romans thought they'd ended Christianity,didn't they?
    The Romans turned Christianity into a state religion. Out with the Vestal Virgins and in with the Pope.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

In the last census I identified myself as Jedi.
    I understand that the total was around 10,000 or thereabouts

So statistically there may well be other posters on ccmb who are similarly minded

Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Romans turned Christianity into a state religion. Out with the Vestal Virgins and in with the Pope.
    Wasn't quite like that was it ?

They eventually became Christians, but not before persecuting Christians for a very long time and having reached a point - just as our present day enemies have - where they thought they'd destroyed it and replaced it with their own low practises.

We can observe that Christian societies thrive , and we can observe our own society withering on the vine as its faith and purpose dwindles . The stem is stronger than you think though and it will recover

Wasn't quite like that was it ?

They eventually became Christians, but not before persecuting Christians for a very long time and having reached a point - just as our present day enemies have - where they thought they'd destroyed it and replaced it with their own low practises.

We can observe that Christian societies thrive , and we can observe our own society withering on the vine as its faith and purpose dwindles . The stem is stronger than you think though and it will recover

Well, if you are Wales-Bales you have played a blinder there with your Janet and John defence of globalist religion.

Just to play along for a while - the Romans persecuted lots of different people and beliefs (as well as tolerating them at other times) including Christianity before they adopted it and imposed it on everyone within their empire.

Who are our 'present day enemies' and what are their 'low practices'? Does 'our' relate to UK Christians, or to the mix of people who inhabit this messageboard (including the aetheists and Jedis)?

'We can observe' is an interesting phrase. I have observed many Christian societies (today as well as through history) that are insular, bigoted and oppressive. Others maybe not. But are you claiming that our society (UK, Europe, the West or however you define 'our society') is withering (I totally disagree with that opinion) because fewer than half of us hold supernatural beliefs and are card-carrying members of the (often wealthy, powerful and insidious) institutions that claim to champion those views?

You're not Truthpaste are you?

I find it incredible that truths in physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics etc. are constantly being updated as research led discoveries shape our understanding of the universe yet religions are clinging on to m****cripts written thousands of years ago which, whilst containing excellent values (all our laws have Christian commandments at their heart), have not been updated any time recently by fresh religious visions, prophecy, miracles, visitations or suchlike which cannot be debunked with only minor investigation.

At the door of every church is a collection box/tray. They are a business which sells the afterlife. Something that comes with no guarantees, evidence or brochure. Each church is a franchise paying upwards to the top of the pyramid.

It used to exploit/oppress the ignorant in return for heavenly reward. Now it's a haven for the needy and easily led.
    It used to be run by the power hungry and abusers. Now there's more women and minorities.

Eventually the business model will be dead.

Hilarious that the word man uscripts is blanked because it has a hole in it. lol