+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson

Re: Callum Paterson

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    he would be more than useful now

Its not the time to play our way out of the bottom ten , get stuck in , get some wins and get up the table

Pretty pretty keep ball has its place but let's get to 50 points first

Could have done a job for us in midfield , centre back , right back too

Bad move in letting him go
    like he would have been put in any of those positions

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Your entitled to your opinion.

Disagree with most of that.
    Fair enough.

I liked Callum as a player even though he was technically shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He would have done a better job up front than Glatzel

He would have done a better job than Bacuna at full back

He would have done a better job at DM than Ralls

He would have done a better job at centre back than Flint

And he probably would have done a better job on the wing than Hoilett

He knows his limitations and makes the absolute most of his strengths.

And he’s got a pair of bollocks. Hard to come by in this team at the moment.
    If he was such a brilliant player how come only cash strapped Sheffield Wednesday were interested? If he was Championship standard in every single position surely there would be a huge clamour for his signature?

As someone who's had to endure Paterson on the wing, no he's not a better winger than Hoilett, it was embarrassing. Paterson has also shown none of the required attributes to be a good centre back or central midfielder. He was effective up front as a novelty act, but he was soon figured out by other defences (in fact he was best utilised behind the striker)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If he was such a brilliant player how come only cash strapped Sheffield Wednesday were interested? If he was Championship standard in every single position surely there would be a huge clamour for his signature?

As someone who's had to endure Paterson on the wing, no he's not a better winger than Hoilett, it was embarrassing. Paterson has also shown none of the required attributes to be a good centre back or central midfielder. He was effective up front as a novelty act, but he was soon figured out by other defences (in fact he was best utilised behind the striker)
    Slightly on the cruel side unfortunately its the truth.

Loads of people on here seem to completely misremember how Paterson actually played for us. It's quite odd.

He played centre or right sided midfield for most of our Championship promotion season and got 10 goals in a side that got automatic promotion with 91 points ! He then got shunted up front because we didn't really have another goal scoring forward and did more than ok. He is a victim of his own enthusiasm and hard work. If Ralls and Bacuna put in half the amount of effort that he did, we wouldn't be languishing in lower mid table as we are currently

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He played centre or right sided midfield for most of our Championship promotion season and got 10 goals in a side that got automatic promotion with 91 points ! He then got shunted up front because we didn't really have another goal scoring forward and did more than ok. He is a victim of his own enthusiasm and hard work. If Ralls and Bacuna put in half the amount of effort that he did, we wouldn't be languishing in lower mid table as we are currently
    Spot on, some people's attitudes on here, you think he would have left behind a team of high quality, technical players. He gets into our first team at the moment easily. Silly to let him go

When he played on the right we were characterised by time wasting tactics and lumping the ball forward, its no surprise that our excellent early season performances became turgid hoofball affairs once he was introduced on the right.. He was a good nuisance, but he's showed nothing to suggest that he could play the role Ralls did or still does. I was a unclear on that was what I was trying to get at when saying he couldn't play in midfield, but thought it was implied as the person I was replying to specifically mentioned Ralls. By the time we'd sold him, Paterson was almost completely ineffective and having a strop if he was brought off. He's a character and he works hard, but he was almost certainly on good money as one of Warnock's favourites and exactly the kind of player we need to be moving away from if we want to watch football where the ball's on the floor for more than 10 minutes a game

Lamenting Ralls whilst bigging up Paterson's contributions in the promotion season is a strange one considering Ralls was a key part of that side, starting 37 games and playing the full 90 in all but one, with a hamstring injury the only thing keeping him from playing in the remaining games (coincidentally that spell included that brief wobble against Sheffield United, Wolves & Villa). By contrast, Paterson started 23 games, playing over 1,000 fewer minutes than Ralls. Surely if Paterson was this great midfielder, he'd have played more than the apparently work shy Ralls?

Also, Paterson's current side are one of the few below us in the table, which surely refutes your point that we wouldn't be languishing where we are if the almighty Callum Paterson were still in the side?

Heisenberg

He played centre or right sided midfield for most of our Championship promotion season
    He absolutely did not. Why make shit up?

Unless you don't know the difference between centre midfield and playing behind the striker?

We would be better off with him, having lost Glatzel.

Hoilett’s performance the other week was one of the worst I’ve seen in a city shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Unless you don't know the difference between centre midfield and playing behind the striker?
    He had a few games out wide too

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Spot on.

I'm sure he played CM in one of the cups and was awful, totally lost.
    He played a few games wide, never particularly well.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He had a few games out wide too
    Yep. He played a handful of games out wide. How is that "most of our championship promotion season" though - which is what dml said?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Spot on.

I'm sure he played CM in one of the cups and was awful, totally lost.
    He played a few games wide, never particularly well.
    Exactly. He played a few games at right-wing back too but I doubt there would be any posters claiming Bennett played left midfield for us that season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure why you moan constantly about us playing hoofball, but complain when we sell a player who can only play that way.
    So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.

When he played on the right we were characterised by time wasting tactics and lumping the ball forward, its no surprise that our excellent early season performances became turgid hoofball affairs once he was introduced on the right.. He was a good nuisance, but he's showed nothing to suggest that he could play the role Ralls did or still does. I was a unclear on that was what I was trying to get at when saying he couldn't play in midfield, but thought it was implied as the person I was replying to specifically mentioned Ralls. By the time we'd sold him, Paterson was almost completely ineffective and having a strop if he was brought off. He's a character and he works hard, but he was almost certainly on good money as one of Warnock's favourites and exactly the kind of player we need to be moving away from if we want to watch football where the ball's on the floor for more than 10 minutes a game

Lamenting Ralls whilst bigging up Paterson's contributions in the promotion season is a strange one considering Ralls was a key part of that side, starting 37 games and playing the full 90 in all but one, with a hamstring injury the only thing keeping him from playing in the remaining games (coincidentally that spell included that brief wobble against Sheffield United, Wolves & Villa). By contrast, Paterson started 23 games, playing over 1,000 fewer minutes than Ralls. Surely if Paterson was this great midfielder, he'd have played more than the apparently work shy Ralls?

Also, Paterson's current side are one of the few below us in the table, which surely refutes your point that we wouldn't be languishing where we are if the almighty Callum Paterson were still in the side?
    David Marshall was in a relegated Norwich side when we bought him

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    We would be better off with him, having lost Glatzel.
    Hindsight is wonderful. Paterson wasnt happy being on the bench and he certainly isnt better Moore.

So hes had a good month. Big deal. I remember we used to get these threads after we let Tom Adeymi go out on loan. How we had made a mistake.etc. The guy hasnt had a club for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.
    And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.

As far as I am concerned he is history. I wish him well for the future and hope he is totally ineffective every time he plays against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    As far as I am concerned he is history. I wish him well for the future and hope he is totally ineffective every time he plays against us.
    Exactly this. Some of our fans have a penchant for pining over really average, ex-players.. which is a bit cringe IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.
    I said he was one of the reasons, not the only reason.

Its hardly surprising we are having difficulty changing our style of play when the squad is mainly built in the mould of Neil Warnock.

It certainly changed for the better when Harris was getting a tune out of Tomlin and Pato was on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Excellent description of his play .

I was horrified when I saw he was in the Scotland team. Is this what it has come too I thought.

Good hardworking professional, not a very good football player.

First of all, Sheff Wed are playing with a six point deduction, so check the table and see where they would be without that. Also they are one of the biggest clubs in the division (ground, squad, fanbase), so it was always likely that they would put a run together and get out of it. With regard to Ralls, I was referring to his performances this season which have been lacklustre to say the least and pointing out that some of Patersons effort and commitment wouldn't go amiss now with players like Ralls and Bacuna. Paterson played in 32 league games (35 in total)in the promotion season and scored 10 goals and if you remember he missed the first two months of the season because he was recovering from the Cruciate injury he had at Hearts. His record therefore stands close comparison with Ralls, who only scored 7 goals, and Paterson in my opinion was therefore also a key part of that side.