+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time you went to Ninian Park

Re: First time you went to Ninian Park

Against Macclesfield some time in the 97/98 season - we lost 2-1 and one of the Sodje brothers scored for Macclesfield. I remember Carl Dale chasing after their back four and winning a corner; my old man turned to me and told me we'd score from it and it would all be because of Carl Dale's hard work.

The corner went straight out for a throw-in and I think it set the tone for the next 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I was looking for the team, goal scorers, crowd attendance etc.

Brighton were top and I think got promoted(?). Glorious day and we were in the Canton Stand. Smell of beer, food and piss outside.

It was a group 'Dad & Lads' outing which meant the Dads going into the pub/social club and leaving the kids outside with a Texan bar and a wagon wheel.

It was a major surprise City won. On my return home my mothers first question was "How many new swear words have you learnt?"

I didn't have the heart to tell her none as I was already very eloquent in telling somebody to "**** Off..." even at that tender age.

Looking at the table at end of season Brighton got promoted in 2nd place by goal difference.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 23-08-16 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    so did i
    Cheeky sods.

Thankfully my boyish good looks more than compensate for my grumpy old man demeanour.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    so did i
    Same here I can't believe he's only a around 44 I had him down as in his 60s

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.

Secondly, I can't believe you're younger than me - I thought you were an old fecker!
    Growing up in the valleys prepared me quite well for 80's football violence.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Same here I can't believe he's only a around 44 I had him down as in his 60s
    That's just plain rude.

Not quite sure what I've done to deserve this level of bullying?

I've never spoken out of turn about anyone on here.

Gits.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Hull stubs, 1968 version.

City were due to play Arsenal in the FA cup 4/1/69. (52k 0-0, my feet never touched the floor!)

The week before they played Hull, winning 3-0, Toshack, Clark & King (I think), so my uncle took me to make sure of tickets for the Arsenal game.

So Hull stubs are nothing new & I've been a glory hunting City fan ever since, with 1000+ games under my scarf.
    My first game was home to Spurs. I was seven years of age and think it was 1960 ?

I think we won 3-2 (or did we lose 3-2 ?)

Couldn't see too much from the terraces although Spurs had Greaves and Brown up front with Blanchflower, Mac Kay, White, Medwin etc..
    Fantastic team. City went down that year.

I did see the Arsenal game you mentioned. Although 0-0 the atmosphere was fantastic.
    I believe we were top of the second division while they were top of the first ?
    Never seen a crowd like it since.

6 January 1968 Cardiff 3 Pompey 0
    First time I took Mrs Cyclops out!
    I was hooked!
    Married 46 years now.

The game was good as well...
    Weather detail - it snowed that night....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Growing up in the valleys prepared me quite well for 80's football violence.

I remember a Chelsea game I was taken to for a birthday treat. The game fell on my 10th birthday. Whilst walking through a bit of a kerfuffle with youths dressed in crombies and 'Docs' waving and swinging limbs at each other, my dad with his mates and a troop of kids just calmly told us to get into pairs and strolled through it.

His next words of fatherly advice were, "Do NOT tell your mother!"

In fairness, the fight was pants in comparison to watching fights outside the Mack in Aberfan on most weekends during the late 70s to mid 80s.

10th of March 1971 aged 9
    Hooked ever since

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Merthyr v Newport Welsh Cup Final 1987

First City game there v league leaders Burnley around Feb 92. Lost 0-2.

My first City game was away to Hereford that same year.
    I was at the Merthyr v Newport 87

I was also at Swansea v Palace FA cup replay 1980...where the guy got killed on Ninian Park Road (fecking Awful)

26-02-1972 v. dirty Leeds. The place was jam-packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    26-02-1972 v. dirty Leeds. The place was jam-packed.
    I didn't see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Cardiff City v Newcastle United August 1962. 1st game after relegation from 1st Division.

4-4. 27,000 in shirtsleeves. The colours, the sounds, the smells, sometimes I close my eyes and get a mental glimpse of that day 54 years ago ..
    That was my second ever game. Brilliant sunshine, great game. Peter Hooper scored a couple for us and I think Ivor Allchurch made his home debut. My first game was in September 1961, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield United. I think Dai Ward scored for us and I remember City's centre forward ( John King?) blasting a chance over the bar from about 4 yards out. But memory plays tricks. Perhaps none of that happened!

The rearranged final game of the 78 season against Orient.
    7 o,clock kick off on a Thursday night, we lost 1-0 with Peter Kitchen scoring for them.
    Think there was an FA investigation into the game, we were accused of throwing the game as we were already safe and Orient needed a win to stay up with us.
    To be fair that accusation could have been thrown against us at many other points during the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    That was my second ever game. Brilliant sunshine, great game. Peter Hooper scored a couple for us and I think Ivor Allchurch made his home debut. My first game was in September 1961, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield United. I think Dai Ward scored for us and I remember City's centre forward ( John King?) blasting a chance over the bar from about 4 yards out. But memory plays tricks. Perhaps none of that happened!
    Yes, Allchurch's debut. Distinctly remember a few seconds when he weaved in and out of a few Newcastle players..

Bob, help me with this match please sir.

First match was City v Brighton, 1979, City winning 3-1.

I've tried the head to heads databases but can't find the details of the match.

I'd be forever in your debt.
    14 April 1979 Cardiff City 3 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion
    15:00 Gary Stevens Goal 37'
    Tony Evans Goal 41'
    Ronnie Moore Goal 90' Goal 14' Peter Ward Stadium: Ninian Park
    Attendance: 12,613
    Referee: Brian Stevens (Stonehouse)

From wiki.
    Last edited by Charlie; 23-08-16 at 12:40.

A bewildering dark midweek evening 1969 , a young 13 year old was taken to Ninian Park the, not knowing the area being from Llanrumney ,with little or no means of transport other than a bus down to central , then the long walk down to the game with hordes of other people , which was strange for me at the time as we did not indulge in large events other than playing football for hours on the fields of Llanrumney.

Shared some chips half way down , as we turned the corner by the Ninian pub , I spotted the glow of the floodlights and I will never ever forget that experience as long as I live , I am now beginning to tear up , as it was also a very sad time in my life , and the trip was offered to me by a very thoughtful neighbour ,who had little money and means themselves , thank you Mr Spurrier . I will support the city until I die , with you in my memory for that outing , as my dad sadly was unable to provide that moment in my life .

Bob, help me with this match please sir.

First match was City v Brighton, 1979, City winning 3-1.

I've tried the head to heads databases but can't find the details of the match.

I'd be forever in your debt.
    Only just got in and I see you've got the details of the match now. My first thought when I read your message was "he saw Ronnie Moore score the first time he watched us play, that must be a club that can hold it's annual reunion in a broom cupboard".

I've not looked at the link about the game that!'s been posted, but I'm pretty sure Mark Lawrenson and Peter Sayer were in the Brighton team.

"Shared some chips half way down , as we turned the corner by the Ninian pub"

Blimey, I remember that place. Black & White pub on the corner. Used to get hit by a wall of beer fumes as you walked past it!

February 1972 v Fulham. !-0 to the City. Brian Clark scored. It was the week after the FA Cup game v Leeds. I nagged my older brother and sister to take me. I was 8 years old. My brother took me to that game and I was in the enclosure nearest to Grange End. Next two games were in the Grange End with my sister. Hooked straight away!
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    14 April 1979 Cardiff City 3 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion
    15:00 Gary Stevens Goal 37'
    Tony Evans Goal 41'
    Ronnie Moore Goal 90' Goal 14' Peter Ward Stadium: Ninian Park
    Attendance: 12,613
    Referee: Brian Stevens (Stonehouse)

From wiki.
    Thank you sir

Feedback

watford around 1984. 1-0 in the league cup IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Only just got in and I see you've got the details of the match now. My first thought when I read your message was "he saw Ronnie Moore score the first time he watched us play, that must be a club that can hold it's annual reunion in a broom cupboard".

I've not looked at the link about the game that!'s been posted, but I'm pretty sure Mark Lawrenson and Peter Sayer were in the Brighton team.
    I can remember Peter Ward playing for Brighton. I didn't know it was Ronnie Moores first goal but there again a lot of the occasion has passed me by.

Cheers Bob.

Blog Entries

I first went in 95 with my boyfriend (not Steve) I have no idea who we were playing, I just remember it was a freezing cold Tues night, it was damp and depressing and I couldn't understand why I suddenly had to start hating England

I still wanted to go again though