+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK emissions pledge

UK emissions pledge

"The Prime Minister has today (Friday 4 December) announced a new ambitious target to reduce the UK's emissions by at least 68% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels."
    If attainable probably because lots of heavy industry already been stopped/destroyed.
    Wonder what today's figures are like compared to 1990.

Re: UK emissions pledge

Think the UK is seen as one of the better drivers of emission reductions , which is a positive , the reduction in heavy industries has been declining for decades as we move to different solutions and materials that are lighter , cheaper , however there's always a downside such as a more throwaway society, and less jobs that once supported those heavy industries

Question:—— How are all the people who live in terraced houses, (ie, no driveways), going to manage to park outside their house to charge their electric car ?
    How will parents get past all the electric leads on the pavements, with their pushchairs. ?

Don’t think they’ve thought this through !!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Question:—— How are all the people who live in terraced houses, (ie, no driveways), going to manage to park outside their house to charge their electric car ?
    How will parents get past all the electric leads on the pavements, with their pushchairs. ?

Charging points will be in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    This, plate technology, a lot of emissions to dig up every urban road in the UK though!

In the words of that great tennis player “You cannot be serious”

Talk about brainwashed

Everyone getting home from work to “PLUG IN”

Talk about brainwashed

I wonder how many unscrupolous people will hack their neighbour's charge point

Do you really think that, on January 1st 2030 all cars will turn from needing petrol to needing electricity?

On the parents getting past all the electric leads, it would make a refreshing change from having to get around all the cars parked on pavements.

Talk about brainwashed

Talk about blinkered.

What do you think the workplace will be in 2030? I can guarantee that it will not be site based for the majority of people. Most people will have to charge once every few weeks.

Most people who live in Cardiff, work in Cardiff. Why do half of them even have cars anyway. The world will have moved on by 2030, although you probably will be stuck in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Talk about blinkered.

What do you think the workplace will be in 2030? I can guarantee that it will not be site based for the majority of people. Most people will have to charge once every few weeks.

Most people who live in Cardiff, work in Cardiff. Why do half of them even have cars anyway. The world will have moved on by 2030, although you probably will be stuck in 1985.

1978, I'll have you know , great year.

1978, I'll have you know , great year.
    Just wait until you get to 2030, it's gonna be a corker.

Carrie has - she's read about it a magazine. As you say though it's completely impractical. Millions live in flats, terraces where parking isn't easy, people parking in your 'spot', 2 or more cars, not to mention the huge power surge in the evening. Plus currently electric cars produce enough CO2 to make then equivalent to having 40,000 miles on the clock already.
    But I'm doing my bit. I'm ripping out my lovely combi that warms our house and produces plenty of piping hot water and replacing it with an air source heat pump. It will cost £10,000. I will also need to either increase the size and number of radiators to 'huge' throughout the house or install underfloor heating - approx £7,000, because they don't heat the water to high enough temperature.

Talk about blinkered.

Lycra clad cyclist alert!!!

Talk about brainwashed

No plugging in Tony, just parking over the top of a plate, induction charging like your phone or hob. I've seen the development samples working and they'll be in full production by 2027.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No plugging in Tony, just parking over the top of a plate, induction charging like your phone or hob. I've seen the development samples working and they'll be in full production by 2027.

Fair enough, maybe these "plates", you speak of, will be big enough to cover all the potholes

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Carrie has - she's read about it a magazine. As you say though it's completely impractical. Millions live in flats, terraces where parking isn't easy, people parking in your 'spot', 2 or more cars, not to mention the huge power surge in the evening. Plus currently electric cars produce enough CO2 to make then equivalent to having 40,000 miles on the clock already.
    But I'm doing my bit. I'm ripping out my lovely combi that warms our house and produces plenty of piping hot water and replacing it with an air source heat pump. It will cost £10,000. I will also need to either increase the size and number of radiators to 'huge' throughout the house or install underfloor heating - approx £7,000, because they don't heat the water to high enough temperature.
    But have you ditched "your electric TOOTHBRUSH" ?

Talk about blinkered.

PS:------ Where are they going to DUMP all the obsolete batteries ?

International

Talk about blinkered.

They have cars because the council provision of anything even near adequate public transport is totally abysmal

Talk about blinkered.

What do you think the workplace will be in 2030? I can guarantee that it WILL NOT BE SITE BASED for the majority of people. Most people will have to charge once every few weeks.

So, all builders, plumbers, carpenters, gardeners and the like, will be WORKING FROM HOME. ! Oh, I forgot our in-house WINDOW CLEANER

What utter tosh !!!!!

Talk about blinkered.

Well, at least the roads will be clear for people to drive their kids to school

So, all builders, plumbers, carpenters, gardeners and the like, will be WORKING FROM HOME. ! Oh, I forgot our in-house WINDOW CLEANER

What utter tosh !!!!!
    He said majority not all people.

PS:------ Where are they going to DUMP all the obsolete batteries ?
    https://www.engadget.com/2018-03-26-...i6M3HpRXPg-iZW

Talk about blinkered.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Well, at least the roads will be clear for people to drive their kids to school

Well the mothers, won't be able to stay home ironing, as the grid will be charging up for the 5 o'clock car-charge rush.

What utter tosh !!!!!
    Did you only read the words you wanted to? I said the majority of people. The biggest industry in the UK is services, most financial, most office based.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He said majority not all people.
    Majority, means MOST, I disagree with that. I believe more people work in a "Hands on Job", than in offices